Meet my biggest fans. My parents and their Cantonese Karaoke Group….all wearing my Steamy Kitchen “Keep Calm and Wok On” shirt. My parents live in Las Vegas, which for them is an ideal place to retire. Cheap buffets, lots of shows and concerts and a thriving Chinese retirement community.
I think it took a couple of years before my parents really understood what I do on Steamy Kitchen. It wasn’t until Mom and Dad actually saw, with their own eyes, on their own television screen, me cooking on the Today Show, that they got it.
Previously, all my press and television appearances were either local to Florida or online. And you know back then, if it was online, it wasn’t really a big deal. How do you explain to parents what a food blog business is? Uh….I take pictures of my food and put the recipe on a website available to anyone for free.
But, if I had to pick one of my proudest moments in Steamy Kitchen career, it would when they saw me on TV and when my Mom said she found my cookbook in her local bookstore and bought every single copy.
That picture above with their Karaoke group is probably in my top 10 too.
If you’re interested in learning more about me, come listen to an interview that Microblogger (Jim Wang) recorded:
“What will you learn in this episode:
- The fun story behind why she started Steamy Kitchen
- How she went from “a place to put up recipes” to a business she loves
- How she created a dream board that would become her business plan and source of inspiration
- How she taught at a local small culinary school
- How she emulated her favorite TV personalities
- The most effective social media tool (it’s not what you think!)
- How Jaden scaled back her business to be more in line with what made her truly happy
- Her giveaway strategy (she does a LOT of giveaways!)
- How she gets her kids involved in her business (and a little bit about her chickens, multiple gardens)
- She talks about Food Blog Forum and the sweet deal they got from Disney (and how they don’t take a penny in profits, they go to scholarships and making the next event better)
- How she gets all this done! (and why she won’t do another cookbook!)”
Have a listen below!