OXO Greensaver Produce Keeper Review & Giveaway
Disclaimer: Products are provided to Steamy Kitchen for a thorough, honest review. We do not receive payment for reviews. Each review takes 5-10 hours of hands-on testing, writing and editing.
OXO provided the products for the giveaway.
Fruits and vegetables are the largest part of our grocery budget, especially during the summer months when our garden is down (way too hot in Florida to grow anything!) However, fruits and vegetables are the most wasted foods in our house as well.
They just go bad too fast. We’ve tried sprays, drawer inserts to keep the produce fresher, but really couldn’t tell a big difference in its use.
Oxo just launched their GreenSaver products. We love them. Here’s why:
1) The Produce Keeper, which is a non-toxic activated carbon filter that absorbs the ethylene gas to slow down spoiling, is contained INSIDE the lid. This makes it more effective, trapping as much gas as possible in a smaller space. The refrigerator drawer inserts that we were using, were not as effective. The same size filter, trying to work an entire vegetable drawer.
2) The Basket keeps the produce dry. You can use the basket and the container as a colander to wash and rinse your vegetables, then add the lid to refrigerate. This saves time and washing of an extra colander. Such a smart design. The basket also lets the produce have airflow all around, not just on the top.
3) All of Oxo’s products are very well made. Sturdy, thick plastic, yet lightweight. The 3 sizes we got are the perfect size – the smaller one for soft fruits (berries), the larger ones for vegetables. We use the largest size for kale. We buy kale in large bags, and add handfuls of kale leaves for smoothies. We used to keep the kale in the same bag we purchased, but the kale would rot at the bottom of the bag. With the Oxo GreenSaver, our kale lasts us 3 weeks with no spoilage.
4) Carbon filter lasts for 90 days, and are inexpensive to replace. A few times, I’ve forgotten to remove the carbon filter prior to throwing into the dishwasher. I wonder how that affects the filter.
5) Use this outside of the refrigerator. Some produce, like tomatoes, are not refrigerated. We love to use the GreenSaver on the counter for these items. They have prolonged the life of my tomatoes! We also don’t like refrigerating strawberries – the GreenSaver comes to the rescue and gives us an extra 3 days. Just this alone has saved us so much money.
Big thanks to Oxo for providing the giveaway! ~Jaden
About OXO GreenSaver
Waste less and save more with OXO GreenSaver™. Three things cause produce to rot and spoil quickly: ethylene gas, improper airflow and uncontrolled humidity. The OXO GreenSaver system has the solution. GreenSaver Produce Keepers feature all-natural, non-toxic activated carbon filters filled with nooks and crannies that trap and absorb ethylene gas, slowing down spoilage and keeping fruits and vegetables fresh longer. They also have elevated, removable baskets that promote proper airflow and help prevent moisture buildup by lifting produce up and away from the bottom and sides of the container. These baskets can also be used as a colander to rinse fruits and veggies before enjoying. The vent on top of each Produce Keeper slides open and closed to maintain optimum humidity levels for different types of produce. These three factors work together to keep your produce fresh longer.
OXO Greensaver Produce Keeper Features & Benefits:
- Activated carbon filter absorbs ethylene gas, is all-natural and made from coconuts
- Sliding date indicator keeps track of when it’s time to replace the carbon filter
- Elevated basket promotes airflow to prevent rotting, and can be removed to be used as a colander
- Adjustable vent slides open and closed for optimal humidity levels for different types of produce
- Chart on bottom of vent shows whether to keep the vent open or closed for popular fruits and vegetables
- 1.6 qt/1.5 L capacity perfect for a pint of berries, grapes and other small fruits and vegetables
- 1 filter included
- BPA free
OXO is dedicated to providing innovative consumer products that make everyday living easier.
OXO was founded in 1990 on the philosophy of Universal Design, which means the design of products usable by as many people as possible. For OXO, that means designing products for young and old, male and female, lefties and righties and many with special needs. The goal of making products more usable forces us to first identify problems and inefficiencies of existing products (including our own!), not only in terms of comfort, but performance as well. This gives us the foundation to meet our commitment of making products that make a tangible improvement in peoples’ daily lives.
Enter the OXO Greensaver Produce Keeper Giveaway
Giving away (1) set (of 3) OXO Greensaver Produce Keeper
Congratulations to our winner(s)!