This recipe features:
- Make healthy burgers with an Asian twist! Thai inspired chicken burgers with sriracha mayo
- Recipe from Make It Easy Cookbook by Stacie Billis
- Store-bought shortcuts makes this recipe simple for any night
Home-cooked meals don’t always have to be 100% scratch. Take advantage of store-bought shortcuts, like Asian sauces or pre-cut vegetables. For this recipe, Thai Chicken Burgers with Quick Pickled Carrots, Asian sweet chili sauce, fish sauce, pre-shredded carrots make this a 30 minute meal.
This recipe is from Make It Easy: 120 Mix-and-Match Recipes to Cook from Scratch–with Smart Store-Bought Shortcuts When You Need Them by my friend, Stacie Billis. Stacie is the managing editor of Cool Mom Eats and publisher of One Hungry Mama. Her specialty is helping families with easy, healthy recipes that can flex with schedules and budgets.
By combining rock-solid recipes with a mix-and-match approach, you can customize a meal to feed even the pickiest eater at the table. We’re loving the recipes from the book, from Asian Steak Salad to Mango Slaw.
Customize Thai Chicken Burger Recipe for your family
Mix ground chicken (though you could use beef, turkey, or pork) with Asian flavors of your choosing:
- green onions/scallions
- fresh cilantro (optional)
- Thai sweet chili sauce – you can find this in most large supermarkets, I like Mae Ploy brand. This isn’t a spicy sauce – it’s actually pretty mild and adds a wonderful, fruity, sweet flavor.
- Asian fish sauce – my favorite brands are Three Crabs (easy to find at Asian markets) and Red Boat (smaller batch, #1 best selling fish sauce on Amazon)
We served the sriracha mayo (mix mayo + squirt of sriracha sauce) and the quick carrot pickle at at the table, so the kids could choose what they wanted on their burger.
Thanks for supporting Steamy Kitchen!
Thai Chicken Burgers with Quick Pickled Carrots
Recipe reprinted with permission. Excerpted from Make it Easy! by Stacie Billis. Copyright © 2016. Available from Da Capo Lifelong Books, an imprint of Perseus Books, LLC, a subsidiary of Hachette Book Group, Inc. Photo by Naomi McColloch.
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (from about 1 juicy lime)
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
Heavy sprinkle of salt
1 1⁄2 cups shredded carrots
FOR THE BURGERS:
1 pound ground chicken, dark meat preferable
1⁄4 cup chopped scallions
1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons Thai sweet chili sauce
2 teaspoons Asian fish sauce
1 teaspoon chopped garlic (from about 1 clove)
Burger buns, potato rolls preferable
Mayonnaise, for topping (optional)
Sriracha or other similar hot sauce, for topping (optional)
1. To prepare the carrots: In a medium-size bowl, whisk together all the ingredients, except the carrots, until the sugar and salt dissolve. Add the carrots, mixing to coat well, and allow to sit for at least 20 minutes or as long as overnight. Drain the liquid before serving.
2. To make the burgers: preheat a grill, grill pan, or broiler. Place all the ingredients in a medium- size bowl and, using your hands, a silicone spatula, or a wooden spoon, mix to combine well.
3. Portion the burgers—you can divide the meat into four quarter-pound burgers or make the grown-up burgers slightly larger and the kid burgers slightly smaller—and cook over medium-high heat until cooked all the way through, 5 to 7 minutes per side, though the exact cooking time will vary depending on thickness. Serve on a roll with the quick-pickled carrots on top and mayonnaise mixed with sriracha to taste.