Thursday, October 22, 2009

Gyoza Recipe (Japanese Pan-Fried Dumplings)

la fuji mamaHello friends! Please say hi to Rachael, who’ve I’ve been mentoring in the blog-world as a Steamy Kitchen intern.

She’s a kick-ass gyoza ninja and I’ve asked her to write up her super-secret recipe for these savory pan-fried Japanese style dumplings.

Rachael lived in Japan for a number of years and here’s her story and a step by step photo tutorial on how to make Gyoza.

~ Jaden

How did a girl who was born in the Rocky Mountains and raised in California and who graduated with French and Law degrees end up writing a food blog called La Fuji Mama and striving to perfect her gyoza recipe?  The story starts seven and a half years ago when I married a man who had lived and studied in Japan.  Six months into our marriage, we moved to Japan, a place completely foreign to me.  Before my marriage, I had traveled all over Europe and lived in Paris, but I had never imagined that I would ever live in Asia.  But there I was, living on the outskirts of Yokohama in a tiny little 400-square-foot, two-bedroom apartment in a neighborhood devoid of any other foreigners.

My kitchen consisted of a large sink, a gas range with two burners and a “fish fryer” beneath the burners (like a little mini broiler), a refrigerator that was considerably shorter than I was, a toaster oven, and two cupboards. I spent my free time exploring, eating, watching and listening, and loving each moment more than the last.  After almost a year, we returned to the States.  Three years later, my husband’s company asked him to transfer to Tokyo, which he happily agreed to.  I soon found myself living in Japan for the second time, this time in downtown Tokyo, in a slightly larger 950-square-foot, three-bedroom apartment, with a slightly larger kitchen, and a spectacular view of Mt. Fuji.

Fuji View

I quickly settled into life, feeling much more comfortable the second time around, and trying to embrace the experience.  Our ties to Japan were further strengthened by the birth of our first child in a Japanese hospital.  A piece of my heart will always be in Tokyo because of that experience.

Squirrel in Kimono

Our move back to the US a year ago was a difficult one, but we try to keep the “homesickness” for Japan at bay with trips to Mitsuwa (our nearest Japanese grocery store) and lots of home cooked Japanese meals.

My first foray into Japanese home cooking started a few weeks after we moved to Japan the first time.  One of my neighbors, a woman named Miki, periodically knocked on my door to ask if I wanted to “cook and talk.”   I looked forward to those knocks – they meant that I got to accompany her to her apartment and spend an hour with her, helping her to both cook a meal and practice her English.  It was in her kitchen that I stuffed and pleated my first gyoza.

Miki made it look easy–her hands rhythmically pleating the top layer of the gyoza wrapper and simultaneously pinching it against the smooth bottom layer as she went–finishing each gyoza within moments of having started it.  My first gyoza took me forever to complete, looked sloppy, and didn’t hold together well when cooked.  But with a few pointers from Miki, my gyoza quickly started to look more as they should (although I still can’t stuff and pleat a gyoza as fast as she could).

Over the last seven years I’ve tweaked the gyoza recipe I learned from Miki, adjusting the amounts of ingredients here and there to suit our palates, and adding a couple of ingredients used by other wonderful Japanese cooks I’ve met along the way.  The recipe I’m going to share with you today is that recipe in its latest form (though ask me again in a few months and it will probably already be slightly different).

My most recent adjustment to the gyoza recipe is in the technique I use when mixing the filling.  In Elizabeth Andoh’s cookbook, Washoku, she describes a method that helps tenderize the meat and helps hold the filling together.  She explains that it’s “a bit like baseball practice” because you are gathering the filling into a ball and throwing it back into the bowl repeatedly. The bonus to the technique is that you get to play with your food.

How to make Gyoza

Gyoza are really easy to make.  Just mince, grate, and measure out your ingredients as called for,gyoza ingredients

and then mix the gyoza ingredients together in a bowl using your hands.  mix with your hands

finished gyoza filling

Yep, you’ve gotta get your hands dirty to make these!  Next you’ll use Elizabeth Andoh’s “baseball practice” technique.  Scoop up the mixture into a ball with your hands and throw it back with some force into the bowl. Repeat this several times to tenderize the meat and help the mixture stick together.  Now it’s time to form your gyoza.  Put a bit of the meat mixture in the center of a wrapper, get your fingertip wet and then trace a line around half of the wrapper.

forming the gyoza

Then you fold the wrapper in half over the filling,

fold the wrapper in half

and pinch it in the center.

pinch in the center

Now comes the fun part–the pleating! Holding the wrapper in that middle spot that you just pinched with your left hand, make a pleat in the top part of the wrapper, pinching it against the flat edge of the wrapper at the back.first pleat

Holding the filled half-circle in the left hand, pleat the top of the wrapper from the middle out, pressing it to the flat edge of the wrapper at the back (only the front edge will be pleated–the back edge stays flat).  Proceed to make two or three more pleats to the right of the first pleat.finishing one side of pleats

Then switch sides and pleat the other side (to the left of the pinched middle).finish the pleats

Set aside the stuffed dumpling with the pleated-wrapper edge up.finished gyoza

Repeat the process until all of your wrappers have been filled and pleated.  It’s always nice to have a partner in crime for this part because it goes a lot quicker.finish all the gyoza

Now you can either cover the gyoza with some plastic wrap and put them in the fridge for a couple of hours until you’re ready to cook them (or you could freeze them to keep them for longer) or you can cook them right away.  The gyoza are first fried on their flat side (pleats up),pan fry the gyoza

until the bottom is nice and brown.

check for nicely browned bottoms

Then, water is added and the pan sealed with a lid

steaming the gyoza

until the upper part of the gyoza is steamed.

finishing cooking the gyoza

Then you serve them browned side up with a dipping sauce made from soy sauce, rice vinegar, and a few drops of chili oil.

dipping the gyoza
If you can’t find round gyoza wrappers, you can always use square wonton wrappers and cut them into circles using a large biscuit cutter.

cut wonton wrappers into circles
Or you can really go all out and make your own wrappers.

These gyoza have a hint of heat from the addition of crushed red chili pepper.  They also contain aka miso paste (red/dark miso paste), which has a wonderful pungent salty flavor.  If you cannot find aka miso paste, you can either leave it out altogether, or subsitute shiro miso paste (white miso paste).  If you leave the miso out, increase the salt by 1/2 teaspoon.  If you substitute shiro miso paste, leave out the sugar and increase the salt by 1/4 teaspoon.
pan fried gyoza

Gyoza Recipe (Japanese Pan Fried Dumplings)

4 cups, loosely packed, minced Napa cabbage (use the frilly leafy half of the cabbage)
1/2 teaspoon table salt
9 ounces ground pork
1/2 tablespoon freshly grated ginger (with a Microplane grater)
2 – 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 tablespoon green onion (green part only), minced
2 teaspoon aka miso paste (red/dark miso paste)
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon crushed red chili pepper
1/4 teaspoon sugar
40 dumpling wrappers

For cooking the dumplings:
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1/2 cup water

Dipping Sauce:
6 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
Several drops of chili oil or sesame oil (optional)

1. Toss the minced cabbage with the salt in a large bowl and let it sit for 10 minutes.  Using both hands, or a cheese cloth, squeeze the cabbage firmly to drain and discard the excess water (prevent your dumplings from becoming mushy) and then transfer the cabbage to a deep bowl.  Add the pork, ginger, garlic, green onion, miso, sesame oil, crushed red pepper, and sugar.  Mix everything together with your hands until all the ingredients are evenly distributed.  Using your hands, scoop the mixture into a ball, lift it, and then throw it back into the bowl.  Repeat several times to tenderize the meat and help the mixture stick together.

2. Have a small bowl of cold water ready.  Lay a dumpling wrapper on a dry work surface, and place a heaping teaspoon of the meat mixture in the center of the wrapper.  With a fingertip moistened with water, trace a line along half of the edge of the round wrapper.  Fold the wrapper over to enclose the filling, and pinch the wrapper in the center to seal the edges together at that spot.  Holding the filled half-circle in the left hand, pleat the top of the wrapper from the middle out, pressing it to the flat edge of the wrapper at the back.  Set aside the stuffed dumpling with the pleated-wrapper edge up. Repeat to make 40 dumplings in all.

3. In a large skillet with a tight fitting lid, heat 1 teaspoon of the sesame oil over medium-high heat. Carefully place as many of the dumplings that can fit without touching in the skillet with the pleated-wrapper edge up.  Cook the dumplings for 3 minutes, or until nicely browned on the bottom.  Check the progress by lifting 1 or 2 dumplings by their pleated edge.

4. Once the bottoms are nicely browned, use the skillet lid to shield yourself and carefully pour in 1/4 cup of the water.  When the hissing and splattering die down, drizzle in 1/2 teaspoon of the sesame oil around the edge of the skillet.  Place the lid on the skillet to trap in the moisture and then quickly lower the heat to keep the liquid at a bare simmer.

5. Check the dumplings after 2 minutes.  When the wrappers appear slightly translucent and the meat feels firm when pressed lightly with a spoon, remove the lid and raise the heat slightly.  Continue to cook until all the water has evaporated and only the oil remains (about 2 minutes).  Once you hear a sizzling sound, shake the skillet.  The dumplings should slide about.  If they seem to stick to the skillet, move the skillet away from the stove and replace the lid for a moment.  Remove the dumplings from the skillet with a broad flexible spatula. If you’d like, flip them over so that the seared surface faces up.  Cook the remaining dumplings the same way.  Serve the dumplings hot accompanied by the dipping sauce.

4. While the dumplings are cooking, make the dipping sauce by mixing the soy sauce and rice vinegar together in a small bowl.  Pour the sauce into a small serving pitcher or distribute among individual dipping dishes.

126 Responses to “Gyoza Recipe (Japanese Pan-Fried Dumplings)”

1. Catherine Glenda Garcia — 3/18/10 @ 2:15 am

Thank you for sharing this, i thought its hard to make but its just easy, I will try this at home.

2. Richard — 4/25/10 @ 12:54 pm

Your gyoza looks like the authentic ones that are made here at Komogaro, the local japanese restaurant that the asian people and pilots go and eat when in town. I aquired a taste for gyoza. It tasted better each time I ate them. I tried the frozen ones I bought in store, but they were bland and small.
    Your recipe and the presentation makes me want to try to make them myself. I’m sure it will me much better than the frozen ones.

thanks

3. Pingback: Today’s dinner « Rory Kenobi's cooking Blog

4. Pingback: Guest Post – Sharing Cultural Foods with Family by La Fuji Mama — Savoring the Thyme Savoring The Thyme

5. Pingback: Homemade Gyoza | msteh.com

6. JessicaLeong — 8/18/10 @ 11:48 pm

well explained, especially on the folding part. Beautiful photos!

7. Pingback: Making a Japanese gyoza dinner, thanks to manga | Slouching somewhere

8. Pingback: Gyōza: la empanadilla japonesa « Delante de la tabla

9. wes — 11/14/10 @ 4:55 pm

Gave this a try, but used shrimp instead of pork. I even made the homemade wrappers. Delicious. Thanks, i’ll be making these again.

10. Jessica — 11/29/10 @ 6:58 am

I’ve been living in Japan for 3 months now and still have not found gyoza as good as these!

11. Orreries — 12/9/10 @ 12:39 pm

Thanks so much for this great recipe and guide!! Even how to make the wrappers, which I plan on doing. I know I’ll screw up the first few times, but with your helpful, detailed instructions and pictures I’ll be sure to get the hang of it much faster!

The ingredients are compelling on their own. I’ve been searching all day for a great gyoza recipe that will stand even with the remembered potent taste of the dipping sauce, and this is definitely the one. I simply must make these as soon as possible!

12. Claire — 1/23/11 @ 4:17 am

These are amazing, thanks for the recipe!

13. Pingback: gyoza (japanese dumplings) « miki's kitchen

14. Pingback: Book Club Party Ideas for Elegance of the Hedgehog | ButteryBooks.com

15. Pingback: TND – Oscars 2011 « Monday Night Dinner

16. Pingback: länkar « Ett skålpund kött

17. Pingback: Gyoza (Japanese Potstickers) | Two Haoles Excellent Adventure

18. Angel — 4/18/11 @ 4:20 pm

These look awesome! My husband grew to love gyoza when we lived in Okinawa for 3 years. I’m going to surprise him and make these! Thanks!

19. Pingback: Next Meeting: Japanese, April 30, 2011 | Foodies United!

20. Pinkle — 5/23/11 @ 4:47 pm

I’ve always loved Japanese gyoza dumpings found in sushi bars, and I found this recipe whilst hunting out dinner ideas. When I learn that I actually had an Asian supermarket nearby, I was sold, I HAD to learn how to make these!

Turns out that these are well worth the effort! Homemade ones with your recipe are DIVINE! :D
    The only issues I’ve had is the edges of my wrappers going a bit dry and thus breaking when I go to pleat them, but I think this is due to me leaving them out to defrost out of their packaging.

Yum yum, thank you! :D

21. mayra — 5/29/11 @ 1:19 pm

WAIT A MINUTE, I WAS JUST LOOKING AT THE APPETIZERS AND I THINK I JUST DIE AND WENT TO HEAVEN,OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG, THIS LOOKS DELICIOSO, THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH FOR THIS RECIPE!!!!!!!

22. Christine Krogue — 6/1/11 @ 4:39 pm

Yum! I have tried a few recipes and this is my favorite. I always hate making gyoza because I am bad at the pleating part. This time I used a gyoza folder mold, and it made it SO easy. Try it if you haven’t. My kids love gyoza.

23. Frieda — 6/27/11 @ 1:34 pm

Thanks for a great recipe! I’ve had this recipe bookmarked for ages and finally made them. So fun to make and even more fun to eat!

24. Julie — 8/4/11 @ 10:22 pm

I made your wraps then followed your directions for stuffing and pleating them. I used ground chicken, rather than pork, and several veggies. The consistency of the wraps is perfect and it really was pretty simple to fill and pleat them. They turned out to be fantastic on my first try. Thank you so much!

25. sharon — 8/23/11 @ 10:43 am

made these today! very time consuming because i had to make the wrappers but well worth the effort! tested these to see how they are and oh my goodness definitely going to be a house staple. next time will sub veggies for the pork because am not much of a meat eater

26. Tim — 10/2/11 @ 12:21 am

Tried this recipe as my first attempt at gyoza. I added a shredded carrot and omitted the miso. They came out great. Definitely going to keep this one.

27. Pingback: Gyoza and Yakisoba « Beer, Food and Photography

28. Pingback: Gyoza and Yakisoba « Beer, Food and Photography

29. melanie — 10/13/11 @ 11:31 am

WoW! i just made these last night… fantastic recipe! thank you so much for posting it! the only thing i added was a little bit of chinese cooking wine for more flavor. i would have liked to use sake but i didnt have any on hand. they turned out better than anything you can get at the store or restaraunts!

30. Donna Richardson — 11/12/11 @ 1:42 pm

This is my website of you are living in the West Sussex County on the UK.
    I loved living in Japan the people and food were amazing. I have been teaching beginners Japanese Cooking for a few years.
    I’m going to try your Gyoza recipe tomorrow and incorporate it into my lesson’s I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks 🌺

31. Kat — 12/1/11 @ 11:10 am

Thanks for sharing!!! I eat Japanese food exclusively (for weight loss purposes) and I love learning more about the food. I’ve always loved Japanese culture, my parents lived there for several years before I was born, so I grew up with a house full of Japanese furniture and food. So I’m picking up where I can and trying to expose my child to the flavors just like I was.

32. Pingback: Introduction | Miso Hungry Podcast

33. Becky — 1/14/12 @ 12:34 pm

I can’t wait to try! Can you recommend a store bought wrapper brand – and any recommendations for freezing these?
    Thanks!

34. bianca — 2/27/12 @ 11:32 pm

I did not have miso paste or red chili pepper for mixture and rice vinegar for dipping sauce, but these gyozas taste pretty good. I have lived in japan before and have tasted alot of gyozas but only few of them can surpass these in taste. Overall taste is 4 stars out of 1-5 stars.

35. Gene — 3/17/12 @ 12:20 pm

Gutes Thema. Bin aber nicht ganz eurer Meinung, aber das ist ja auch kein Diskussionsforum hier. Bleibt am Ball.

36. Jess — 4/10/12 @ 10:58 am

Made this today, very nice, but so much work! The kitchen is so messy now lol

37. Pingback: What are the best ways to make gyoza? - Quora

38. Helen Horton — 4/18/12 @ 11:29 am

Love gyoza and the photos make it so easy to understand. Love how you pleated it.

39. Arthur — 6/19/12 @ 9:50 pm

These look yummy!

40. Pingback: Gyoza & Origami Workshop Day | Ezz & Stephen

41. Pingback: Finally Friday + Japanese Pan-Fried Dumplings | The Southern Summer

42. hannah — 8/4/12 @ 1:38 am

I’ve been wanting to make gyoza lately and these look delicious! Going shopping for ingredients this arve, can’t wait to make them!

43. Laura — 8/22/12 @ 2:26 pm

I originally found your site through the gyoza wrapper recipe but then found this gorgeous looking recipe for the innards! I’ve just made the dough and chopped some garlic and am taking a quick break to re-read the instructions….I’m very much looking forward to the end result as this is my first time making one of my favourite things!!!

44. Karla — 9/3/12 @ 10:21 pm

Made these tonight. One word… AMAZING! Thanks for the recipe!!

45. Pingback: Saluyot and Shiitake Gyozas Princess Tofu

46. Pingback: Vegetable Dumplings « What Julie Ate

47. Pingback: Werklunch, bento en gewoon lekker! Gyoza… « overkoetjes

48. adrie — 1/23/13 @ 10:13 pm

I made these gyoza using your recipe for wrappers. They were perfect. Thank you so much. My fiancee was so happy!

49. lucy — 1/24/13 @ 4:51 pm

hi, love these!
    any specific instructions for the ones i froze? how should i go about cooking them from being frozen?

50. Limpar's Wand — 2/5/13 @ 9:38 pm

Very clear instructions – thank you!

One big tip for people wanting to imitate the restaurant gyoza which I didn’t see here is to use black rice vinegar not normal rice vinegar for your dipping sauce. It makes an enormous difference!