When GoodBite asked me to participate in the an “adventure ingredient” challenge, I was like “adventure!? HELL YEAH! bring it on baby!”
Or maybe even baking some vegemite cupcakes.
But damn, that would have been fun to zing off on a totally different tangent of food blogging and freak my mother out.
Well, Chef Dave picked bison as my adventure ingredient – hardly an adventure for a gal like me who’s dined on far freakier things!
So, what to do with Bison meat? Make Bison Burgers with Bacon and Blue Cheese of course!
Clever, eh? All those B’s make me feel adventurous.
Oh…don’t want to forget to mention that um yeah, I totally did say that bison meat is healthier with less calories and less cholesterol…that is…until you fatten it up with BACON and BLUE CHEEEEEEEEZZZZ!
Hey, at least I didn’t include a spread of lard on the buns.
Bison Burgers with Bacon and Blue Cheese
4 strips bacon, each strip cut in half
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
salt and pepper
4 burger buns
2-3 tablespoons good quality mustard
1. Season the ground bison generously with salt and pepper. Divide the meat into 4 equal sized patties, about 1-inch thick. Form and shape the patties so that they have a slight indentation in the middle of patty. This helps the burger cook to an even size, as the middle always puffs up during cooking.
2. If you are using an outdoor BBQ grill, preheat your grill on high.
3. In the meantime, place the bacon strips in a large frying pan over medium-high heat and cook until crisp on both sides.
4. To cook the burgers, place the patties on the hot grill, close lid and cook for 2-3 minutes. Flip, close the lid and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Flip once more, turn the heat to medium and cook until juices run clear or to the temperature of your choice.
5. Spread each burger bun with mustard, top with the bison burger, 2 strips of bacon, crumbled blue cheese and fresh arugula.