Chinese Cod In Garlic Ginger Broth
Servings: 4Prep Time:15 minutesCook Time:20 minutes
- 1/2 yellow onion finely diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger use a rasp grater
- 1 garlic clove through a garlic press
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 cups dashi see note above or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 12-ounce piece cod, skin removed
- 8 shiitake mushrooms stems removed, caps thinly sliced
- 1 carrot peeled and sliced into thin matchsticks (or 1 handful of matchstick-cut carrots)
- 3 scallions white and green parts, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro roughly chopped
Heat a wok or large saute pan over medium-low heat. Immediately add in the onion, ginger and garlic. Stir constantly and cook slowly for 3 minutes, until the onion is softened and all the aromatics are fragrant. Take care not to burn them!
Stir in the soy sauce, dashi and lime juice.
Place the cod fillet in the wok and turn the heat to medium. Cover and let the fish cook slowly, making sure that the broth stays at a bare simmer. Cook for 8 minutes.
Uncover and stir in the shiitake mushrooms, carrots and green onions.
Cover again and cook an additional 2 minutes or until cod flakes easily at thickest part.
Top with cilantro and serve immediately.
- Where possible opt for sustainable cod.
- Cook the cod until it flakes easily at the thickest part. cook the cod slowly for a very tender bite.
- You can water for the broth but dashi makes for a much more flavorful broth
- Make sure not to overcook the broth, keep it at a bare simmer.
Calories: 138kcalCarbohydrates: 7gProtein: 20gFat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 910mgPotassium: 702mgFiber: 2gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 2685IUVitamin C: 5mgCalcium: 83mgIron: 1mg