Chinese Daikon and Carrot Soup
Servings: 8-10Prep Time:10 minutesCook Time:30 minutes
- 1 pound pork cut into large chunks
- 6-8 dried shrimp
- 2-3 dried scallops
- One 2-inch piece of ginger cut into chunks
- 2 whole cloves garlic
- 1 large Daikon radish peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 large carrots peeled and cut into chunks
- 2-3 to matoes cut into quarters
- Salt to taste
Bring a large soup pot filled with water to a rolling boil. Add pork and bones and let boil rapidly for 10 minutes.
Remove pork and set aside. Drain and discard the water, clean the pot if needed. Fill the pot with new water to make the broth (approximately 4 quarts) and add in the pork, bones, shrimp, scallops, ginger, garlic.
Bring to a simmer and then turn the heat to medium-low, or hot enough to just produce a gentle simmer for 30-40 minutes.
Occassionally, skim the soup of any fats or particles and discard. Add radish, carrots and tomatoes to the soup and simmer for another 15-20 minutes. Season with salt (or fish sauce) to taste.
- Feel free to swap protein and veggies.
- Doing a violent boil "scrubs" the meat and bones, forcing the impurities to be released.
- Make sure to occasionally, skim the soup of any fats or particles and discard.
- Season with salt or fish sauce.
Sodium: 109mgCalcium: 27mgVitamin C: 12mgVitamin A: 3262IUSugar: 2gFiber: 1gPotassium: 335mgCholesterol: 40mgCalories: 143kcalSaturated Fat: 4gFat: 10gProtein: 9gCarbohydrates: 5gIron: 1mg