Crispy Tofu Buddha Bowl with Ponzu Sauce & Sesame Seeds Recipe
Use up all veggies in your refrigerator with this Japanese inspired Crispy Tofu Buddha Bowl with either a homemade or store-bought Ponzu Sauce and Sesame Seeds. For extra protein, add an hard boiled egg to the bowl.
For the GRAIN
- 2-3 cups cooked quinoa or other grain of choice (for low carb, choose a base of greens)
For the VEGGIES
- 4-6 cups vegetables of choice: lettuce, kale, shredded carrot, steamed broccoli, roasted butternut squash, sliced cucumbers, shredded cabbage, garbanzo beans, tomatoes, sliced bell pepper, etc.
For the PROTEIN
- 14 ounces tofu extra firm
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
For the SAUCE
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup citrus juice lemon and/or orange juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons mirin
For the CRUNCH
- 4 teaspoons sesame seeds toasted in dry pan until fragrant
To make the Ponzu sauce, whisk all the ingredients together. Give it a taste. Is it tangy, salty, but still slightly sweet? Feel free to add more sugar. If it's too salty add more water.
Place the tofu block on a plate lined with a couple pieces of paper towel. Place another plate on top of the tofu. Stack on something heavy, like a couple cans of soup. Let sit 15 minutes. Drain and discard water. Slice tofu into 1/2" slices. Pat the tofu very dry on both sides. Brush soy sauce on both sides of each slice of tofu.
Heat a frying pan with the cooking oil on medium-high heat, until shimmering. Carefully add the tofu slices. Pan-fry for 2 minutes, until golden brown. Brush on more soy sauce. Flip tofu slice and fry an additional 1 minute. Brush on more soy sauce.
Calories: 313kcalCarbohydrates: 54gProtein: 13gFat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 1620mgPotassium: 665mgFiber: 11gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 9242IUVitamin C: 31mgCalcium: 86mgIron: 4mg