Kale Kumquat Salad Recipe
Citrus dressing makes enough for recipe plus leftover for another day!
FOR THE DRESSING:
- 1/2 orange, juiced
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar (or red wine, white wine vinegar)
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
FOR THE SALAD:
- 1/2 pound kale, chopped, tough stems discarded
- 1/2 pound arugula
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 cup kumquats, thinly sliced and seeds removed
- 3/4 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
Make the salad dressing by combining the vinaigrette ingredients in a jar with a tight fitting lid (like a mason jar) and shake well to combine.
Place the kale in a large bowl. Sprinkle with salt. Using massaging motion, rub the kale leaves together to break up and soften the kale.
To serve, toss kale with some of the dressing (I used about 1/4 cup of the dressing), nuts, mushrooms and kumquats.