Adapted from Lemon Crepes by Martha Stewart
Her original recipe recommends refrigerating the batter for 2 hours, however we skipped this step (we couldn't wait) and the crepes turned out beautifully.
If you find that your crepes are too thick, add a tablespoon of water to the batter to thin it out a bit more.
I use salted butter, if you're using unsalted butter, add a pinch of salt to the crepe batter.
Ingredients:FOR THE CREPES
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 1/4 cup milk
8 tablespoons melted butter, divided
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
FOR THE SALTED LEMON BUTTER CARAMEL
4 lemons, divided
4 tablespoons butter
generous pinch of sea salt
1/3 cup brown sugar
fresh mint or thyme, for garnish
To make the Crepes:
1. Preheat oven to 200F.
2. In a bowl, add the flour, sugar and the salt. Use a whisk to stir vigorously to break up any clumps of flour.
3. In a separate large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, just 6 tablespoons of melted butter (set aside the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter) and the vanilla extract. In batches, add the flour mixture in several batches and slowly stir to incorporate. Do not overmix. At this point, you can refrigerate an hour or up to overnight (optional).
4. Heat a crepe pan or nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Use a brush dipped in the remaining melted butter and brush some butter on the bottom of the pan. When the butter is bubbling, add 3 tablespoons of the batter in the center of the pan. Gently tilt and swirl the pan to get the batter to spread and create a thin layer. Cook for 1 minute until lightly browned on the bottom and then flip (use 2 spatulas to make it easier to flip). Cook an additional 1 minute.
5. Transfer the cooked crepe on a plate, cover with towel and keep warm in the oven while you cook the remaining crepes and make the Salted Lemon Caramel.
To make the Salted Lemon Butter Caramel:
1. Juice only 2 of the lemons (the other 2 lemons will be used in next step) to get 2 tablespoons of lemon juice.
2. With the remaining 2 lemons, slice 1/4" thick.
3. Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat and add the butter. When the butter begins to bubble, add in the brown sugar and sea salt and whisk until incorporated. Add the lemon slices to the pan and let cook for 2 minutes each side. Pour in the lemon juice and let simmer for an additional 2 minutes. Pour over folded crepes, garnish with fresh mint or thyme and serve immediately.