This Roasted Pumpkin recipe serves up perfectly oven roasted pumpkin. It’s an easy and versatile recipe. You can have them as pumpkin wedges with a dip or as a delicious side dish.
Why This Roasted Pumpkin Recipe Shines
- Crispy on the outside and tender in the middle.
- Perfect for Thanksgiving.
- Great as a snack or a side.
- You can save the seeds for roasting!
- Olive oil
- Ground clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, sea salt
How To Make This Roasted Pumpkin Recipe – Step By Step
Heat oven to 400F. Using a large metal spoon, scoop out the seeds and insides of the pumpkin. Save the seeds for roasting. Use a sharp chef’s knife to cut slices of pumpkin, 1-inch thick.
Place pumpkin slices on baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and rub on both sides of pumpkin. Season with salt, spices and brown sugar. Roast for 18-20 minutes, depending on thickness of pumpkin slices (check at 15 minute mark).
Roasting A Pumpkin
Roasting truly elevates the inherent qualities of a fresh pumpkin, intensifying its flavors and imparting a velvety, creamy texture that stovetop methods can’t replicate. The aromatic trio of cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg melds seamlessly with this creamy squash, accentuating its sweet undertones beautifully!
What Type Of Pumpkin Is Good For Roasting?
I like smaller pumpkins (plus, they are easier to cut through). You can also use Japanese pumpkin, or kabocha for this same roasted pumpkin recipe.
How To Cut A Pumpkin
A better option is to buy “Pie Pumpkin” which is a smaller pumpkin. One Pie Pumpkin should feed 6 people.
As always, be careful cutting into the round pumpkin. I place the pumpkin on a kitchen towel to prevent slipping.
Cut into wedges
I like to clean up the inside surface just a bit, and get rid of any stringy parts of the pumpkin (that was previously clinging onto the seeds).
Top Tips For This Roasted Pumpkin Recipe
- To cut through the tough skin of the pumpkin, use the tip of a sharp, chef’s knife to first pierce the spot where you want to cut. That gives you a starting point for the blade of your knife to begin. Then nestle your blade into that spot, and gently rock back and forth. Don’t try to muscle it! The waxy surface of the pumpkin can slide on your cutting board.
- You can choose butternut squash or another kind of pumpkin for this roasted pumpkin recipe, but do peel them.
- Use a preheated oven.
- Cooking times will vary slightly, depending on the thickness of the pumpkin, so check at the 15 min mark.
See More Great Pumpkin Inspired Recipes
Have you tried this Roasted Pumpkin recipe? Feel free to leave a star rating and I’d love to hear from you in the comments below!
Roasted Pumpkin Recipe
- 1 small pumpkin or 1/4 large pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon ground clove
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- Heat oven to 400F. Using a large metal spoon, scoop out the seeds and insides of the pumpkin. Save the seeds for roasting. Use a sharp chef's knife to cut slices of pumpkin, 1-inch thick.
- Place pumpkin slices on baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and rub on both sides of pumpkin. Season with salt, spices and brown sugar. Roast for 18-20 minutes, depending on thickness of pumpkin slices (check at 15 minute mark).