We’ve been a little distracted for the past week, new babies, another new baby that is just learning how to waddle and getting quotes to build a new fence for animals (sheep! alpaca! bunnies!) Pretty soon, I’ll have to rebrand this site to be “Steamy Farmer” right?!
So, dinners recently have been super quick-cooking meals and raiding my pantry/refrigerator for something to cobble together. This is one of them. In fact, I think Thai Curry is the queen of emergency quick-cooking.
This version of Vegetable Thai Curry Noodle Soup consists of:
Pantry – Thai curry paste, coconut milk, carton of vegetable broth, rice noodles, bamboo shoots, baby corn.
Refrigerator – bell pepper, mushroom, tofu, basil
All of the refrigerator items are long-lasting type of ingredients that stay fresh for about a week.
15 minutes tops, from pantry/refrigerator to table.
Vegetable Thai Curry Noodle Soup Recipe Video
Vegetable Curry Noodle Soup
- 10 ounces dried rice noodles
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons Thai curry paste (or to taste)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 8 ounces baby corn, halved
- 4 ounces bamboo shoots
- 1/2 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
- 8 whole shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 8 ounces medium or firm tofu, cubed
- handful fresh basil, leaves torn
- If you are using rice noodles, soak the noodles in hot tap water (not boiling water, just use hottest water from tap) for 10 minutes. Drain. If you're not using rice noodles, cook noodles according to package directions.
- In a wok or a soup pot, heat oil over medium heat, add in curry paste and fry for a few seconds until very fragrant. Be careful not to burn the curry paste. Pour in 2 tablespoons coconut milk and whisk with the curry paste until combined. Add the remaining coconut milk and the vegetable broth and bring to a simmer. Optional- stir in the fish sauce or soy sauce. Give the soup a taste and add more curry paste if you'd like it spicier.
- Add in the vegetables and tofu. Cook for 3 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked to your liking. (If you're not using rice noodles, see below.) Add in the drained rice noodles and boil until the rice noodles are cooked through, about 60 seconds to 2 minutes depending on the thickness of the rice noodles. Stir in fresh basil and serve immediately.
- * If you are NOT using rice noodles and have cooked the noodles according to instructions on the package, divide the cooked noodles evenly into 4 serving bowls. Stir in fresh basil in the vegetable curry soup and pour over the noodles.