Thai Iced Coffee is refreshing, creamy, sweet and contains hints of warm cardamom and a touch of almond extract.
- Double-strength brewed coffee
- Half & Half or Cream
- Ground cardamom (or cardamom pods)
- Almond extract
Cardamom is the secret ingredient
What makes this Thai iced coffee so different from anything you’ve had before is the infusion of cardamom into the half and half. Cardamom gives the coffee a warm-spice flavor. You can use either green or black cardamom (the black cardamom is cheaper), or in a pinch, ground cardamom.
You might enjoy these recipes too
Thai Iced Coffee Recipe
- 4 cups double strength brewed coffee
- 2 cups half & half or heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 cardamom pods or 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Smash the cardamom pods to release its flavor and aroma. You can do this with your mortar & pestle – just gently tap the pods until the outer shell is cracked. If you don't have a mortar & pestle, place the pods on a cutting board and with a heavy chef's knife, use the bottom of the handle to smash the pod.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, bring half-and-half or cream, sugar and cardamom pods to a simmer, turn off the heat and allow to steep for 15 minutes. Remove the cardamom pods then add the almond extract.
- Fill 4 tall glasses to the brim with ice. Divide the flavored half-and-half or cream between each of the 4 glasses. Then slowly pour the coffee into each glass.