Rule #1 of food blog design: Never launch a new design or features the day before you go on vacation or travel.
I thought I had learned this lesson, oh…..5 WordPress themes ago, but apparently I underwent a momentary lapse of good judgement last Friday. Not only were we going on a family vacation at Disney World, but we were hosting Food Blog Forum in Orlando at Disney World for 100 attendees and their families. (More on those fun times in another post!)
Scott and I started getting emails from readers that, “Your site be broke!” as one so eloquently wrote. But our energy was dedicated to creating magical moments for FBF attendees and our boys, and not for freaking out on a broke site. So we stopped checking emails and just had fun.
It was harder than I’m making it sound. There’s no such thing as “stop checking emails” or “turning off phones” for geeks like us. But we did our best and you know what? Our weekend was one of the best eeeevvveerrrrr!!!
Broccoli Spanakopita…or Broccolikopita
Spanakopita is a Greek pastry, usually filled with spinach and feta cheese folded in layers of filo dough. Most of the time, I see them folded into triangles (kinda like how you fold an American flag), but I decided that rolls were easier to shape, easy enough for my boys to help me in the kitchen.
Instead of spinach, we used fresh broccoli, something we had plenty of in the garden. Crispy, flaky and savory.
The first step is to lightly saute the onions, garlic and broccoli in olive oil. Season with a pinch of ground nutmeg and salt and pepper.
The broccoli should still be a little crunchy and bright green. Let the pan cool a bit and then stir in the raw egg. If the pan is too hot, the egg will cook. Remember, this all goes in the oven later for 20 minutes, so everything will be perfectly cooked.
Lay out a sheet of filo, brush with melted butter, then add another sheet. Spoon a couple tablespoons of the broccoli filling in the middle, near the bottom.
Fold over both sides.
Once you’re done with all of the rolls, brush the tops with butter.
Bake for 20 minutes and serve hot!
Broccoli Spanakopita Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 head broccoli, finely chopped
- pinch ground nutmeg
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup feta cheese
- 1 egg, whisked
- 20 sheets filo dough (about 1/2 package), covered with barely-damp towel
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Swirl in the olive oil and saute the onions until transluscent. Add in the garlic and the broccoli and saute for 3 minutes, or until the broccoli is just starting to get tender but still bright green. Season with nutmeg, salt, pepper and lemon juice. Remove from heat and let cool until no longer steaming. Stir in the egg and the feta cheese.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Lay 1 filo sheet on clean surface. Brush completely with melted butter. Lay another sheet on top. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the broccoli filling 1" from the bottom edge, in the middle. Fold the left side of the filo sheet over, then fold the right side over. Fold the bottom edge towards to top and roll. Place on baking sheet seam side down. Brush the top with melted butter. Repeat with remaining to make 10 rolls.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until tops are golden brown and crispy.