Sheet Pan Roast: Perfect Vegetables & Crunchy Tofu
Roast a variety of vegetables along with tofu in the same oven session. The trick is use two sheet pans – tofu on upper rack, vegetables on lower rack. Tossing the vegetables in a store bought salad dressing is our shortcut to incredible flavor. Coating the tofu in a bit of cornstarch creates an extra-crunchy crust and light, creamy interior.
Tips to Sheet Pan Roasting Vegetables and Tofu
In this recipe we will teach you how to cook vegetables and tofu at the same time to help cut back on time and cleaning. Make an extra large batch and save leftovers for Buddha Bowl recipes.
- Use your favorite vegetables – we used broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, parsnips, Brussels sprouts and tofu.
- Toss the cut vegetables in any salad dressing.
- SHORTCUT ALERT! Use store-bought salad dressing or any of our Buddha Bowl sauces/dressings.
- Parchment paper or foil makes for easy clean-up.
- Perfect roasted tofu should be crispy crunchy on the outside, and light and creamy on the inside. Tossing in cornstarch helps create a crunchy crust.
How To Make Tofu Extra Crunchy
The secret trick to making tofu extra crunchy crispy on the outside, yet still creamy and light on the inside is two steps:
- Squeezing out as much water as possible from the tofu
- Tossing the tofu cubes in a little bit of cornstarch and oil
Love Your Leftovers
I purposely made the batch bigger in the recipe for leftovers. The leftover tofu and vegetables make for a flavorful Buddha Bowl the next day or later in the week!
SHORTCUT ALERT! Use store-bought salad dressing. You'll use two baking sheets, one for the tofu, the other for the vegetables.
Do not toss the tofu into the salad dressing - we want the tofu to be as dry as possible, so we can get the outside nice and crunchy, while leaving the inside soft and creamy.
- 1 pound extra firm tofu drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus more for pan
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 pounds vegetables of your choice
- 3 tablespoons salad dressing of your choice
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
Set your oven for 2-rack cooking. Preheat oven to 400F. Line both pans with parchment paper. Slick the parchment papers with olive oil.
Lay 2 sheets of paper towel on counter. Place tofu block on paper towel. Place 2 more paper towels on top of tofu. Lay a large cutting board on top. Place some heavy items on the cutting board to put weight on the board. Let sit at least 15 minutes.
Cut tofu into 3/4" cubes. In a large bowl, gently toss the tofu cubes with olive oil. Add in the cornstarch and garlic salt, and toss to coat evenly.
Place the tofu cubes in one layer on one of the baking sheets. Go ahead and put that on the upper rack of the oven. Set timer for 30 minutes. While the tofu begins roasting, prepare the veggies.
Cut the vegetables according to their density: dense vegetables (like carrots, potatoes, parsnip should be cut in 3/4" cubes), medium vegetables (like cauliflower) just a little larger. Cut broccoli just a little larger than the cauliflower. Thin vegetables (like onion, bell peppers) - cut into wedges.
Toss the vegetables into the prepared salad dressing. Lay the vegetables onto the other baking sheet and let roast on the lower rack. Set timer for 20 minutes. While you're in the oven, give the tofu a flip.
The tofu and the vegetables should finish roasting at about the same time. Season with salt and pepper to finish.