This is a sponsored review
by BlogHer and Kraft.
This dish is what I call my “company asparagus” – even though the last time I referred to dinner guests as “company” was in 1979 when my parents had “company” over for dinner – I think it was either my Dad’s boss and his wife or someone else important that decides Dad’s pay-raises.
“Company” food is simple, yet elegant, using high quality ingredients that you don’t mind spending a little extra money for. This asparagus dish uses fresh asparagus and really good imported proscuitto. The asparagus are perfectly tender with slight nuttiness that comes from roasting…and the prosciutto crisps up nicely in the oven.
But what makes this really elegant is just the slght drizzle of cream cheese sauce for that perfect finishing touch.
The beloved Philadelphia Cream Cheese that we all know has a new product called “Philadelphia Cooking Creme” and I used it pretty much straight out of the package, whisked with just a bit of water to thin it out and warmed in the microwave.
Three main ingredients is all that it takes to make this company asparagus dish: asparagus, prosciutto and the Philadelphia Cooking Creme – I used Italian Cheese & Herb.
The Cooking Creme is different from the regular “Philly Cream Cheese” – it’s made for using as a base for sauces (just stir it in), comes in different flavor varieties (others include, Original, Santa Fe Blend and Savory Garlic) and is incredibly meltable.
Three main ingredients: asparagus, Philadelphia Cooking Creme and prosciutto.
Use your hands to snap off the end of one spear. It naturally breaks where the tough part ends. This is where you need to cut the rest of the asparagus and discard.
Wrap two or three asparagus in each slice of prosciutto. Since prosciutto is pretty salty, I like to wrap multiple spears together. If you’re using thin asparagus, make sure you get at least 3 spears in each.
Place all on a baking tray.
Drizzle just a bit of olive oil on the tips and the ends of the asparagus. The prosciutto doesn’t need any oil at all.
Roast for 8-10 minutes – your asparagus should be tender and the prosciutto should be crispy.
In a small bowl, whisk together a 1 tablespoon of water with the Cooking Creme. Warm it up in the microwave on medium power for about 45 seconds.
Spoon over the asparagus and prosciutto.
Crispy Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus
- 1 pound asparagus, tough ends trimmed and discarded
- 8 ounces prosciutto, very thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup Philadelphia Cooking Creme (any flavor, I used Italian Cheese and Herb)
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Wrap 2 asparagus spears with a slice of prosciutto. Place spears on baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil on the tips and ends of the asparagus (avoiding the prosciutto). Roast for 8-10 minutes, until the asparagus is cooked through and the prosciutto becomes crispy.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the Philadelphia Cooking Cream with the water. Microwave on medium setting for 45 seconds.
- Plate the asparagus and drizzle the Philadelphia Cooking Cream over the asparagus. Serve immediately.