Did you know teriyaki sauce is made of only 3 ingredients? You could always add more, like sesame seeds, a little grated ginger and garlic. But plain and simple, teriyaki sauce is equal parts sugar, sweet cooking wine (mirin) and soy sauce. In addition to the sauce, you will need steak of your choice, button mushrooms and a selection of bell peppers.
what is mirin?
Mirin is Japanese sweet rice wine and contains sugar mixed with rice wine. You can find mirin in Asian grocery stores and I’ve seen it sold in most regular grocery stores in the “Asian” or ethnic section. I’m working with Mitsukan to show off how simple teriyaki sauce is to make using their mirin.
Mirin is used in many of your favorite Japanese dishes (like teriyaki!), tempura sauce, seafood dishes and sukiyaki, adding that slightly sweet flavor to the dish. It’s gluten-free.
Other recipes that use mirin:
Nobu’s Famous Black Cod with Miso (RasaMalaysia)
Misoyaki Roast Chicken (Food52)
Teriyaki Chicken Wings (White on Rice Couple)
Cucumber Salad Recipe (Eating Out Loud)
Meatballs with Soy-Mirin Glaze (Humble Recipes)
Teriyaki Chicken (No Recipes)
the ingredients for steak teriyaki
Here are the ingredients needed for teriyaki sauce with steak (you can use any type of steak, not just flank steak)
how to make teriyaki sauce
To make the Teriyaki sauce, just bring all three ingredients to a simmer until all the sugar dissolves, about 1 minute. That’s it! In a small saucepan, over low heat, add the soy sauce.
Next, add the same amount of mirin.
Then, add the sugar. Simmer the sauce for a few minutes and you’re done!
how to make steak teriyaki
First, prepare the peppers by slicing into thin long strips.
Next, slice the button mushrooms.
Heat a large pan to medium-high heat, add a tablespoon or so of cooking oil and sear the steak on both sides then remove from pan, while you sauté the mushrooms and peppers.
Add a little more cooking oil, then mushrooms and cook for a few minutes.
Next, add the peppers and cook for about two minutes.
Place the steak back into the pan. Then, pour the sauce over the steak, mushrooms and peppers.
Cover and lower the heat until preferred doneness.
To serve, slice the steak against the grain and top with peppers, mushrooms and extra teriyaki sauce.
Steak with Teriyaki Sauce
FOR THE STEAK, MUSHROOMS and PEPPERS:
- 2 pounds flank steak (or use steak of your choice)
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil, separated
FOR THE TERIYAKI SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine)
- 2 tablespoons sugar (or more if you like a sweet teriyaki)
- To make the teriyaki sauce, whisk all the sauce ingredients in a small sauce pan and simmer on low for 3 minutes, until the sauce has thickened slightly then remove from heat.
- Add one tablespoon of the cooking oil to a pan over medium-high. Season steak with salt and pepper then sear the steak 2 minutes on each side and remove from pan.
- Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of cooking oil. Add the mushrooms and sauté until mushrooms are lightly browned, 2 minutes, and then add the peppers and cook until crisp tender, another 2 minutes.
- Place the steak back into the pan, reduce heat to low and add the teriyaki sauce, let simmer for 1 minute. Serve the teriyaki sauce, mushrooms and peppers on top of the steak.