This recipe for Hot Dogs with Kimchi Relish is from The Kimchi Chronicles by Marja Vongerichten, and if you recognize that last name, you’ll know her husband is the one and only Jean-George Vongerichten, or as I affectionately call “J-Vo”
Marja is Korean and the cookbook is a collection of Korean American recipes that her family enjoys. Most of the recipes are accessible for the home cook, with a couple of odd-ball dishes that J-Vo had a hand in (not in a bad way) – like Korean Baeckeoffe and Jeju Bouillabaisse.
Some of my favs from the book:
Spice-Rubbed Korean Chicken – uses gochugaru (Korean red pepper powder)
Kimchi Fried Rice
Kimchi Bloody Mary
For the Korean food lover, I absolutely recommend this book!
The Kimchi Chronicles, by Marja Vongerichten is available on Amazon!
Photo Credit: Andre Baranowski
How to make Kimchi Relish
Start with half a cup of kimchi in a bowl. Add 2 teaspoons of rice vinegar.
Then, add 2 teaspoons of honey. Mix well and serve on top of your next hot dog.
Hot Dogs with Kimchi Relish Recipe
- 1/2 cup kimchi thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 4 hot dogs
- 4 hot dog rolls
- 4 tablespoons Korean hot mustard or any spicy mustard
- Preheat a grill to high or preheat a ridged cast iron grill pan over high heat.
- Mix together the kimchi, honey, and vinegar in a small bowl.
- Grill the hot dogs until browned and crispy, and lightly grill the rolls until they're golden brown. Put the hot dogs in the rolls and top each one with 1 tablespoon mustard and one-quarter of the kimchi relish.