If you have an ice cream maker hiding in your pantry….or if you can safely steal borrow your neighbor’s ice cream maker that has been neglected without getting caught, please….just PLEASE bring it out and give it some love!
Matcha White Chocolate Ice Cream is so elegantly rich that a little scoop is all you need. I found this post from Kuidaore, where I just simply fell in love with the idea of pairing Matcha with White Chocolate.
Since I had just finished making a batch of Matcha Finishing Salt and had plenty of Matcha green tea powder left over, this was a perfect recipe to try. I’ve simplified the recipe just a bit.
Of all the ice cream flavors I had all summer (and believe me, I’ve sampled more than I really should admit to) this is by far my favorite ice cream flavor. Matcha White Chocolate Ice Cream will be a regular treat at my home. Its even fancy-sounding enough to serve at gourmet dinner parties….shhhhh….you and I will know that it was a cinch to make.
Matcha White Chocolate Ice Cream
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon fine salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 8 ounces white chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons matcha powder, sifted
- In a medium heavy saucepan, bring the cream, milk, sugar and salt to a simmer over low heat, stirring constantly.
- While whisking eggs, pour about 1/2 cup of the hot cream mixture in a thin, steady stream in the bowl of eggs. This should temper the eggs. Now pour the tempered eggs in the rest of the saucepan with the hot cream mixture, in a thin, steady stream while whisking the hot cream.
- Cook over low heat, constantly stirring, just until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon, about 5 minutes. Do not let this mixture boil. Pour this mixture through a strainer lined with cheesecloth.
- Place the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 2 1/2 minutes, stirring at 30 second intervals until chocolate is melted. Add the matcha powder to the chocolate and stir vigorously with whisk to mix well. Add this to the strained hot cream and stir to blend. Cool this mixture and refrigerate until chilled.
- Freeze according to the instructions for your ice cream machine.