Grilled Tofu Salad with Miso Dressing
Firm tofu is brushed with miso and pan-fried for the perfect quick and easy addition to any salad or bowl. Mix ginger, soy, and a few more flavors in with the miso for the finishing dressing to this grilled tofu salad recipe!
It’s nearly mid-January and I’ve been working hard testing recipes, writing, and photographing my next Steamy Kitchen book. Writing a cookbook is possibly one of the most challenging things I’ve ever done – even skydiving holds no candle to obsessing over creating perfect recipes and enticing photos for 12 months.
I’ve enlisted one of my best friends, Kelly, to help me once a week in the kitchen. Kelly was the very first friend I made when we moved to Florida and I don’t think I would have made it without her love and support – Scott and I had sold a house, bought a house, moved cross-country, started a business, got married, went on a honeymoon and got pregnant in 2 months flat. (Whew!)
Nathan, Andrew and Kelly’s son are best friends as well, all of them around the same age. The 3 Muskateers are often spotted dashing across the lawn with Nerf guns, hiding in a corner playing their Nintendo or out in the back pond luring a fish.
Kelly is a grad from Le Cordon Bleu, works as a personal chef and at the Viking Cooking School — so she knows her way around the kitchen. I couldn’t have found a better match!
How to make Grilled Tofu Salad with Miso Dressing
The steps are simple – the tofu slices are brushed with miso on both sides as you grill or pan-fry them. Make sure you get firm or extra firm tofu – the softer tofu will fall apart on the grill.
The miso dressing is so simple, just whisk it together in a small bowl with a fork.
Grilled Tofu Salad with Miso Dressing
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook Time:8 minutes
2 teaspoons cooking oil
2 tablespoons Miso & Easy (3 teaspoons miso paste + 3 teaspoons hot water), divided
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1 tablespoon water
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon oil for salad (olive, canola, vegetable, grapeseed)
4 handfuls of salad greens + any other salad vegetables of your choice
1. Cut the tofu block into 1/2" thick slices and with towel, pat each slice tofu dry on both sides.
2. In a small bowl, add just 1/2 of the miso (we'll use the other half in the dressing). Brush the tofu on one side with some of the miso.
3. Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat. When hot, drizzle in the cooking oil and add the tofu, miso side down. Cook for 2-3 minutes until browned. Brush the top of the tofu with more miso. Carefully flip the tofu and cook for 2-3 minutes.
4. Whisk together the remaining miso, soy sauce, ginger, water, sesame oil and sugar. Slowly drizzle in the oil while whisking to finish the dressing.
5. Assemble the salad greens and vegetables, serve with grilled tofu slice and miso salad dressing.
To turn this Grilled Tofu Salad into a Buddha bowl:
Just add a base of grains, rice, or noodles!
- How to Microwave White Rice
- How to Microwave Brown Rice
- Dried noodles like Japanese soba, Chinese egg noodles or dried rice noodles
- Korean “japchae” noodles made from sweet potato
- Fresh Asian noodles – flat rice noodles, fresh egg noodles (these cook in less than 5 minutes)
Rice & Noodles Route:
- Quinoa – 10-15 minutes typically; can’t go wrong with directions from the box!
- Barley – We like cooking barley in vegetable broth instead of water. This grain also takes about 40 minutes to cook.
- Bulgur – Fast and tasty. I like Bob’s Red Mill brand.
- Farro – Bon Appetit has the perfect recipe for cooking farro.
- Freekeh – This one is my favorite! See if you can find cracked freekah at a health food store. Here’s how to cook it.
Or, some quick-cooking grains to consider:
Whatever base you choose, season with salt as desired before topping with your tofu. Alternate adding your greens and that lip-smacking dressing you were already working on! Top it off with something crunchy – nuts, seeds, fried noodles, tempura scraps – right before eating.