In our backyard, we have a fire pit, which really is just a hole in the ground with some arranged bricks around the perimeter to serve as a pretty border (so that you can call it a “fire pit” and not just a “hole in the ground”) and tell the kids where the DO NOT CROSS zone is.
We’ve made S’mores many times, but it’s a dangerous affair since my husband, a former Eagle Scout learned the proper way to stack fire logs to produce long lasting, intense, big flame, big heat fires. He stacks them like a game of Jenga.
Trying to make S’mores in that fire WITHOUT the added bonus of singed arm hairs is almost impossible. The heat of the fire is so intense that you literally have to lay on the ground, crouch behind the stack of bricks to protect your face while reaching in with your non-dominant hand (you wouldn’t want to burn off your good hand) holding a stick with a marshmallow dangling off it.
And that is why I love these S’mores Cookies. No burning, no singe-ing.
These cute little cookies are from my friend, Jenny Flake’s new cookbook, The Picky Palate Cookbook. Jenny and I always have fun together, wherever we meet up. Usually, there’s cameras, cupcakes and wine involved. Sometimes, all of the aforementioned inside the privacy of a limo. We party in style! 🙂
What I love about Jenny’s cookbook is that it’s FUN. Who else would stuff an Oreo inside a chocolate chip cookie?? All of the recipes are family favorites.
You might be wondering, why is the word “cake” in this recipe? Well, Chocolate Cake S’mores Cookies are made with cake mix. Yup, boxed devil’s food cake mix, whisked with eggs, brown sugar and butter. The batter is thick, just like cookie batter. Then you get to decorate the cookies with bits of graham cracker, mini marshmallows and a mini bar of chocolate.
Oh, and the photos of the Chocolate Cake S’mores Cookies? Those are Jenny’s photos from the book. We made these cookies and by the time I got the camera out, nearly all of them were gone. GONE. I was robbed by 3 hungry kids and a sweet-toothed husband.
Chocolate Cake S’mores Cookies Recipe Video
Chocolate Cake S'mores Cookies Recipe
- 1 8.25 ounce box devil's food cake mix
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 3 1.55 ounce Hersey's chocolate bars, cut into rectangles
- 1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 1/2 cups roughly chopped graham crackers
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone liner.
- Add the cake mix, eggs, brown sugar and butter to a large bowl and mix until combined. With a medium cookie scoop, place the dough onto the prepared baking sheet, 1 inch apart.
- Press the cookies to flatten to about 1/2 inch thick. Press a chocolate bar piece, 2 marshmallows and 2 graham cracker pieces on top of the flattened cookie dough.
- Bake for 11 to 13 minutes, until cooked through. Let cook for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.