Prior to 6 months ago, my motto for beans was, “love to eat ’em, hate to cook ’em!” Cooking beans the regular old way requires forethought the night before to soak the beans. But the problem with that is that usually, the night before, I’m too full from dinner to even think about what I’d possibly want to eat the next day. It requires extreme planning and organization – which I just do not have.
Then I learned that you can cook beans in a pressure cooker WITHOUT pre-soaking the beans the night before..
There’s a gadget that I want to introduce to you – not only is it genius, but the people behind the company are awesome. They wanted to pay me to create a recipe using the EZ Bean Cooker, but instead of paying me, I suggested that they donate $2,000 to my local Boys and Girls Club that Scott and I have adopted.
What a great trade! I get to enjoy beans, cooked in 60 minutes or less WITHOUT SOAKING and the DeSoto branch Boys & Girls Club made their fundraising goal. They happened to be short in fundraising and this made up the difference.
And the best part of this for you is that I’m giving another one of these EZ Bean Cookers away. Check out this giveaway post to enter!
Enjoy the recipe!
White Bean Chili Frito Pie Recipe Video
Pressure Cooker White Bean Chili Frito Pie Recipe
- 2 cups cooked ham, cubed
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 pound dry white beans, rinsed & drained (Great Northern Beans)
- 2 cans diced tomatoes with green chiles (look for Rotel brand)
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 2 cups water
- Sort beans by removing and discarding any foreign material or shriveled/discolored beans. Rinse beans with cold water. Add the sorted and rinsed beans to the inner cooking pot of the pressure cooker. Add the water and additional ingredients.
FOR EZ BEAN COOKER:
- Replace the lid on the EZ Bean Cooker and turn clockwise to lock the lid in place. Make sure that the pressure release valve is in the closed vent position. Select the "Great Northern Beans" button on the cooker, then push "Start". Once the cook cycle is complete, use caution to manually release the pressure.
FOR PRESSURE COOKER:
- Follow the directions included with your pressure cooker. Cook under pressure for 50 minutes.