Here’s what you’ll learn:
- Why skirt and flank steak are perfect for this dish
- How to cut the steak to guarantee most tenderness
- Nathan’s marinating method
- How to cook mai-fun (skinny rice noodles) in 30 seconds
- How to julienne a cucumber in 30 seconds
Our family loves skirt steak and flank steak – it’s more tender (when cut properly), soaks up marinade faster (especially skirt), and the thinness of these cuts make for fast cooking.
Asian Rice Noodle Salad with Steak Recipe Video
Here’s our video, and Nathan’s tip for the best steak ever.
To make this a 20-Minute Meal
– Buy thin steak (like skirt steak) because it will cook faster. After adding the steak to the marinade, skip the waiting and proceed to grill/broil. You’ll still get a ton of flavor! *Bonus – massage the marinade into the steak like Nathan showed you in the video.
– Buy already-shredded carrots. Use a julienne tool to cut the cucumber.
– Use fine rice noodles (like I did in the video) – it cooks in 30 seconds.
Asian Rice Noodle Salad with Steak Recipe
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small nub of fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 4 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 (8-ounce) steak of your choice (skirt, flank, sirloin)
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 lime, juiced (1 tablespoon)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 large cucumber, finely chopped
- 1 (8-ounce) package rice noodles
- 1/4 chopped peanuts
- To a resealable bag, add most of the minced garlic (reserve the rest for the dressing), grated ginger, just 1 tablespoon soy sauce (reserve rest for dressing), sesame oil and brown sugar. Mix well. Add in the steak, remove as much air as possible and seal. Marinate for up to overnight.
- To make the dressing, whisk together the remaining soy sauce, remaining garlic, rice vinegar, lime juice, sugar and sesame seeds. Add in 2 tablespoons of water and whisk well.
- Cook the noodles according to package instructions. Drain. Taste the noodle to make sure it is done.
- Grill or broil steak for 4 minutes per side, or until done to your liking. Let steak rest for 5 minutes, then thinly slice.
- For each bowl, toss noodles, carrots, cucumbers and steak slices with dressing. Top with chopped peanuts.