How to steam asparagus in the microwave.
Buddha Bowl Veggies
This recipe is so simple and easy to follow. No need to fire up the stove or dirty up a pot, just do it all in the microwave.
Why Steam Asparagus in the Microwave?
- It is the fastest, simplest and most energy efficient way to steam asparagus
- Little clean up and prep time
Tips to Perfect Steamed Asparagus in the Microwave
Wash and trim your asparagus before steaming it. To do so, scrub your stalks under cool water and then break off to woody section from the bottom of your asparagus.
The easiest way to do this is just use your hands. Where ever the stalk naturally breaks and snaps is where you should cut the rest of the stalks.
For fatter stalks over 1/2″ thick: use a vegetable peeler and peel away the bottom half of the stalk to reveal the more tender, lighter part. This will help you cook the asparagus more evenly in the microwave.
After rinsing your asparagus stalks, do not dry them off, leave them slightly wet. This will help create steam and cook them faster in the microwave.
Use a microwave safe dish large enough to lay all of the asparagus flat so the stalks cook evenly. If you do not have a plate large enough to cover a large dish, use plastic wrap.
Cooking time really depends on how thick the asparagus stalk is.
- Pencil thin stalks only take 3 minutes.
- For most asparagus, which is about 1/2″ thick, we suggest microwaving for 4-5 minutes on high if you like a little bit of snap when you bite into the asparagus. If you prefer your asparagus a bit softer, then microwave it for 4-5 minutes, and then in 1 minute intervals until it reaches your desired firmness.
- For fat stalks over 1/2″ thick, cooking may take up to 6 minutes
- 1 lb of asparagus
- 2 tablespoons water
- olive oil
- salt and pepper, lemon (optional)
How to Steam Asparagus in the Microwave – Step by Step
- Cut off the woody ends of the asparagus stalks, discard
- Rinse asparagus in cold water and place directly into a microwave safe bowl
- Cover with a plate or a lid and microwave on high for 4 minutes
- Remove and check for tenderness, microwave in 1 minute intervals if not done
- Transfer to a serving dish, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and maybe a squeeze of lemon. Enjoy!
Various Ways to Serve Steamed Asparagus
- Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and feta cheese
- Add to pasta and toss with mushrooms and Alfredo sauce
- Serve as an appetizer with a sour cream based dip, soy sauce and/or lemon wedges on the side
- Toss with minced fresh garlic, olive oil and a squeeze of lemon.
How to Steam Asparagus in the Microwave
- 1 pound asparagus trimmed
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Combine asparagus and water in a microwave safe bowl. Cover with a plate and microwave on high for 4 minutes. Check for doneness.
- Transfer to a serving dish, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
If you have tried making steamed asparagus in the microwave, or any other recipe on my blog, then please rate it and let me know how it turned out in the comments below!