Pomegranate Seed Basics
Pomegranates can add a sweet pop of flavor to your Buddha Bowl, but removing the seeds without any of the stringy pieces or choosing one at the store is the hard part. Keep reading to learn all about pomegranates!
Buddha Bowl Basics
Buddha Bowl basics will teach you ways to add flavor and save money in the kitchen. Asparagus is a fresh vegetable that has nice bite to it and goes great in any Buddha Bowl. We are going to show you how to choose fresh asparagus at the store and the best way to store asparagus.
Why Pomegranate Seeds are Great
- A yummy healthy option that has a crunch to it
- Great source of nutrients
- Stays fresh in the fridge for one week
How to Choose a Pomegranate at the Grocery Store
When choosing a pomegranate at the store, look for one that is bright in color, looks round, and feels dense. Avoid pomegranates with soft spots or are dull in color.
You can also find pomegranate seeds packaged at the grocery store! Look in the produce section for this packaging:
The Best Way to Store a Pomegranate
Store pomegranates on the counter, in a cool place out of direct sunlight for 2-3 weeks.
For the seeds, store in an airtight bag or container or baggie in the refrigerator for up to five days.
How To Remove Seeds from a Pomegranate
Do this under water! This keeps everything in the bowl, and prevents staining of your hands, the counter, your clothes (pomegranate is notorious for staining everything!)
- Fill a large bowl or sink with water
- Cut the top and bottom off of the pomegranate. Using a paring knife, score around the fruit, like you would peel an orange.
- Submerge the pomegrante into the bowl of water, use your hands to pry apart the sections and loosen seeds.
- Submerge the pomegranate in the water and use your fingers to remove the seeds, notice the seeds will sink and the bitter white pith pieces float to the top
- Remove the loose white pieces and the outer skin, drain water
If you have tried removing pomegranate seeds, or any other tips/recipes on my blog, then please rate it and let me know how it turned out in the comments below!