When you’re cooking a lot, one thing is guaranteed: there’ll be tons of leftovers! We HATE throwing food away, so we’re on a mission to repurpose anything you might have leftover after preparing big meals.
Our Mission: Help Give New Life to Your Leftovers!
Our mission is to stop food waste at home! We have tons of ideas for proteins, but what about mashed potatoes?
Give New Life to Leftovers
If there is one thing we really don’t like, it’s food waste. Repurposing these leftovers in creative ways ensures that nothing will get wasted, which makes us totally happy! So much food is wasted in the US, but we are here to make sure that never happens again by bringing your leftovers back to life.
Leftover Mashed Potato Ideas
#1: Make Shepherd’s Pie with Leftover Mashed Potatoes
On a normal night, making shepherd’s pie would be an ambitious undertaking. But since we’re going to use leftover mashed potatoes AND any other vegetables or sides that you have leftover from your holiday meal, it’s easy as well… pie.
Just add whatever leftover meat and veggies you have on hand to leftover gravy (or make a roux) and then top it with your leftover potatoes.
Make your shepherd’s pie stand out from the original meal by adding some curry spices and red pepper. For an extra twist, try drizzling on one of my favorite sauces, like Korean gochujang drizzle, or use one of these creative recipes below:
- Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie
- Classic Shepherd’s Pie
- Cheesy Shepherd’s Pie
- Vegan Shepherd’s Pie
- Upside-Down Shepherd’s Pie
#2: Make Cream of Potato Soup with Leftover Mashed Potatoes
Take that big bowl of leftover mashed potatoes and turn it into a pot of beautifully-flavored soup with this hack.
- Thin the mashed potatoes by adding hot water and whisking vigorously until smooth.
- Saute some onion and leeks in a large pot with olive oil, then add the thinned potato mixture for a quick and easy take on the classic French soup vichyssoise.
Here are some of our favorite creamy potato soup recipes you could make with leftover mashed potatoes:
- Classic Creamy Potato Soup
- Vegetarian Potato Soup
- Spicy Potato Soup
- Baked Potato Soup
- Loaded Potato Soup
#3: Make Crunchy Mozzarella Balls with Leftover Mashed Potatoes
Much like stuffing, mashed potatoes make a GREAT batch of Crunchy Mozzarella Balls, and they’re so easy!
- All you do is wrap a piece of fresh mozzarella around a tablespoon of the mashed potatoes.
- From there, you bread it up by rolling it egg and then dipping it into cheesy panko breadcrumbs. Deep fry. Serve with a side of marinara sauce to dip. You won’t believe how delicious it is.
Leftover Stuffing Crunchy Mozzarella Balls
- 1 1/2 cups leftover stuffing or mashed potatoes
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella torn into small pieces
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- oil for frying vegetable, canola, or peanut
- First, make the mozzarella balls: wrap a small piece of mozzarella in 2 tablespoons of leftover stuffing or mashed potatoes, sealing completely.
- Bread the mozzarella balls: coat lightly in beaten egg, then coat in panko. Set aside on plate until all are breaded.
- Add the oil to a deep, heavy bottomed pan and bring oil to 350°. If you don't have a thermometer, flick a very small amount of water into the oil to see if it sputters. It's ready if it does!
- Fry the mozzarella balls for about a minute on each side until golden brown. Transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel, and enjoy immediately!