My forte has never been baking desserts, so I always look for easy recipes that I can pull together at the last minute. Going through my stash of recipes that I’ve ripped out over the years from cooking magazines, I came across one from Martha Stewart Everyday Food for Rustic Apple Tart. I think after 3 years of subscribing to that magazine, this was the only recipe that looked interesting enough to rip out. Interesting because it was such a simple recipe that produced a beautiful dessert. Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry is a staple in my freezer and makes an elegant tart crust with minimal work. Since this is such a healthy recipe, I just had to top it with some Bourbon Whipped Cream!
Caramelized Apple Tart with Bourbon Whipped Cream
For the Apple Tart:
- 1 sheet of Frozen Puff Pastry, thawed for 20 minutes but do not unfold
- 3 Granny Smith Apples
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg yolk, beaten with 1 t water, for egg wash
- 2 T unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 T apple jelly or apricot jam
For the Bourbon Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry sheet (still folded) to an 8 inch by 14 inch rectangle. Trim edges with a sharp paring knife. Transfer to baking sheet, place in freezer. Peel, core and slice apples ¼” thick, toss in bowl with sugar. Brush pastry with egg wash, avoiding edges. Use a sharp paring knife to score a ¾” border around the pastry (do not cut all the way through). Place apples inside border, and dot with butter. Bake until puff pastry is golden and apples are tender, 30-35 minutes. In microwave, heat jelly with 1T of water until melted. Brush apples with glaze. Serve tart warm with Bourbon Whipped Cream.
For the Cream:
- Beat or whisk the cream, sugar, and bourbon until soft peaks form.