Learn how to make yourself the perfect single serving of Mac and Cheese in the microwave in just a few minutes! I know as a kid, I always wished I didn’t have to share any Mac and Cheese because let’s face it, there is nothing better. This single serving if the perfect way to avoid that and maybe to control the amount of Mac and Cheese I consumed – because DELISH!
I absolutely hate when I make macaroni and cheese and the cheese gets stuck to the inside of the pot. It’s a pain to soak and scrub it off, especially if you like a lot of cheese!
This recipe is fun and easy to make and not to mention (mostly) mess free. It’s perfect for making with kids of any age, teaching your little ones how to make an easy and delicious after school snack. This is also a hit for college students who currently only have access to a microwave! This microwave mac and cheese will satisfy your midday munchies and hold you over to your next meal without making you feel like you need a nap right after.
Why This Microwaved Mac and Cheese Recipe Works
- No more scrubbing a sticky, cheesy pot!
- Perfect single serve dish, so you aren’t tempted to eat the whole box (like me!)
- This on the go recipe can be used with any type of wheat based noodle and any type of cheese.
Ingredients For Easy Microwave Mac and Cheese Recipe
- Milk, non-dairy alternative if needed
- 1/2 cup of cheese, of your choice
How to Cook a Mac and Cheese in the Microwave
- In a deep bowl, combine noodles, water, and salt.
- Microwave on high for about 2 minutes.
- Remove and stir and add more water if needed. Continue to microwave in 1 minute intervals until pasta noodles are tender.
- Drain any excess water, add milk and cheese to noodles.
- Microwave for an additional 15-20 seconds to melt cheese. Remove and stir until you achieve a rich, thick sauce.
- Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper and enjoy!
Add-ins to Spice Up Your Mac and Cheese!
Try mixing your mac and cheese with hot dog slices, marinated tofu cubes, a dash of hot sauce, or a handful of breadcrumbs for a nice crunch. Beef up your microwaved mac and cheese with veggies like these Steamed Carrots or Steamed Broccoli!
Can I make Mac and Cheese in the Microwave for More than One Person?
Absolutely! You can make a whole bowl of Mac and Cheese in the microwave. Just remember for every 1/2 cup of pasta, use 1 cup of water. The amount of milk and cheese added it up to you and your taste and texture preference. I prefer my Mac and Cheese to be super creamy, so I would mix in 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of milk with a ton of cheese!
Why are my noodles not tender yet?
This could be for a few different reasons. Did you use a non wheat based pasta noodle such as brown rice or chickpea? Gluten free alternatives have not been tested and the cooking time may be affected. If you do try with a gluten free noodle, let me know how it turns out! If you used regular noodles, just be patient and add a bit more water and microwave in short intervals until tender. They will get there.
Microwave Mac and Cheese
- 1/2 cup noodles of choice
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup milk non-dairy alternative if needed
- 1/2 cup cheese of choice
- Combine pasta, water and salt in a bowl, stir
- Microwave on high for 2 minutes
- Remove and stir; continuing microwaving in 1-2 minute intervals until pasta is tender
- Stir in milk and sprinkle cheese, microwave for additional 15-20 seconds to melt cheese
- Stir until a creamy sauce is formed
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, enjoy!