Learn how to cook bok choy and bok choy “family members’ in the microwave! This special recipe comes together in under 5 minutes and requires no pan or wok.
This method works so well for almost any Asian vegetable. This is the fastest and easiest way to prepare bok choy all while it stays a beautiful vibrant green. Bok choy cooked in the microwave is fabulous on its own when paired with spicy garlic, sesame oil, and salt, but is a fabulous addition to any of the Steamy Kitchen Buddha Bowl recipes or as a simple side dish to get an extra kick of veggies.
Why This Microwave Cooked Bok Choy Recipe Works
- There is no pan or wok needed making for easy clean up.
- Bok choy retains the bright green color and is perfectly cooked and tender.
- You use less cooking oil, which is a win win!
- Our recipe testers say,
- “Very easy method. Thanks for sharing!”
- “Easy and delicious. Used garlic salt instead of regular salt, but otherwise followed this great recipe!”
Ingredients For Bok Choy in the Microwave
- Bok choy, Baby bok choy, or Tat choi
- Cooking oil
- Asian sesame oil, optional
How to Steam Green Beans in the Microwave
- Wash and trim the bok choy leaves. Cut each leaf in half, separating the tougher stems from the leafy greens.
- Place stems first into a microwave safe bowl, and then place the leafy greens on top.
- Cover and microwave for 2 minutes.
- Mix well, season with salt and cooking oil and mix again.
- Microwave 1 minutes increments until done, mixing the bok choy after each minute.
- Remove from the microwave and drizzle with sesame oil.
Bok Choy, Baby Bok Choy, or Tat Choi?
Bok choy is sold mature or either in baby, or small form. Both are easily accessible in most grocery stores. Mature bok choy are long and have dark leafy greens with really white stems. Baby bok choy is much smaller and light green in color, from the thicker stems, to the leafy greens. Tat choi, also known as Tatsoi, is actually from the family of brussels sprouts and mustard greens but looks very similar to baby bok choy while the leaves resemble brussels sprouts leaves. It’s mild in flavor, lightly sweet, with buttery leaves.
Garlic and Ginger. Once the bok choy has finished cooking in the microwave, I toss it in my wok with a high heat cooking oil. Toss it to get a little browned and caramelized, and then add minced garlic and grated ginger. Toss together until fragrant and finish with a splash of sesame oil.
Sesame Dressing. In a bowl, whisk together 1 tablespoon each soy sauce, white vinegar, and olive oil. Then add 2 teaspoons of sesame oil and 1 teaspoon of sugar if you like a little sweetness. Sprinkle in a little red pepper flakes for a kick.
How can I Enjoy my Microwave Cooked Bok Choy?
Noodle Soup! Noodle soups are one of our most beloved dishes here at Steamy Kitchen. They are affordable, quick, and easy to make. Try our Noodle Soup with Baby Bok Choy and Crispy Shallots and instead of cooking the bok choy over the stove, cook it in the microwave and then finish the recipe off the traditional way!
Stir Fry. There is no better way to use Asian vegetables than in stir frys. Cook your bok choy in the microwave per recipe instructions and then head over to this Baby Bok Choy and Ground Chicken Stir Fry recipe for a simple, yet incredibly flavorful way to use microwave cooked bok choy.
Buddha Bowls! Use your quick cooked bok choy in any Buddha Bowl you love. Some of our favorites to use them in are Crispy Tofu Buddha Bowl with Tangy Ponzu, Rice Noodle Bowl with Vietnamese Dressing, and this Korean Beef Rice Bowl.
How to Cook Bok Choy in the Microwave Video:
How to cook bok choy or baby bok choy in microwave recipe
- 1 pound bok choy
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- Wash and trim the bok choy leaves. Cut each leaf in half, separating the tougher stems from the leafy greens. Place stems first into a microwave safe bowl. Place leafy greens on top.
- Cover and microwave for 2 minutes. Mix well, season with salt and cooking oil. Mix again. Microwave 1 minute increments until done (you can give the bok choy a good mix after each minute).
- When done, drizzle with Asian sesame oil.