This Buddha Bowl is so customizable, yet simple, it will satisfy even the pickiest of eaters. With a creamy zesty chipotle sauce that you can make as spicy or as mild as you like.
Buddha Bowls Are Easy & Versatile!
A Buddha Bowl is super easy to make – Use leftovers, frozen vegetables.
Fill the bowl with your favorite ingredients, and we’ll show you how to make a yummy sauce and a fun, crunchy topping.
Make this Taco Buddha Bowl
+Greens: Keep it simple with chopped or shredded iceberg lettuce. For something a bit more filling you can use Mexican rice (here’s a great recipe that I’ve used many times)
+Veggies: Diced tomatoes, diced bell peppers or any vegetables you have stored in the fridge.
+Protein: Ground beef with a yummy and simple store-bought taco seasoning. We also used a can of black beans – if you are vegetarian, you can double up on the beans.
+Sauce: Creamy chipotle sauce with chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Make this sauce as spicy or as mild as you want with the number of peppers you add in.
+Crunch: This bowl is a little different because the crunch is on the outside! We will teach you how to make a fun taco shell bowl with tortillas. Or you can opt out and sprinkle tortilla chips on top.
Here’s how to build this Buddha Bowl:
Fun First: Taco Shell Bowl
Normally you would top it all off with a crunch, but for this recipe….the crunch is the bowl. We recommend starting this recipe by making the bowls so they have time to bake and cool. It’s important for the bowls to cool so they harden to the perfect crunch – and so the contents don’t fall out of a soft bowl.
You can use an electric taco shell maker (fun!), a metal, nonstick mold, or an oven-safe medium sized bowl.
For the taco bowls you will need:
- 1 pack of 10 inch flour tortillas
- olive oil (or cooking oil spray)
- oven safe cereal bowls or a taco bowl mold
To make this taco shell bowl:
- Spray or brush both sides of tortilla with cooking oil.
- Place the tortilla inside the bowl or mold, and shape it to the bowl.
- Bake 325F 6-8 minutes until browned and crispy.
- Remove tortilla from bowl and let cool upside down on baking rack. Cool completely before filling.
Creamy Chipotle Sauce
This creamy chipotle sauce can be made as spicy or as mild as you please.
Creamy chipotle sauce only requires a few ingredients….just combine ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
You will need:
- Sour cream or crema
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (NOTE this is ONE pepper from the can, not an entire can!)
- 1 clove of garlic
Drizzle it over this taco buddha bowl and save the rest to dip chips or veggies in. Great for pouring over other yummy meals during the week that need a little kick!
If you prefer, buy a yummy chipotle sauce that you can find in stores or online:
Taco Buddha Bowl with Creamy Chipotle Sauce and Taco Shell Bowl
- oven-safe medium sized bowl (like cereal bowl sized)
For the CRUNCH
- 4 flour tortillas 10-inches
- 2 tbsp olive oil or cooking oil spray
For the GREENS
- 4 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
For the VEGGIES
- 1 large tomato diced
- 1/2 cup corn frozen or canned (drained)
- 1 large avocado sliced
For the PROTEIN
- 1 lb lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 can black beans drained (optional)
- 1 package low sodium taco seasoning mix
- 3/4 cup water
For the SAUCE
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream or crema
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce ONE single pepper, not the entire can
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF. Spray both sides of the tortilla with cooking spray. Snuggle the tortilla inside the bowl or mold, fluting the edges to make a "bowl" shape. Bake for 8 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool completely.
- Brown the ground beef in a skillet over medium-high skillet. Drain fat. Stir in the seasoning mix and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- For the sauce, combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until it has a smooth creamy consistency. Taste. adjust and add a little more adobo sauce or another pepper, if you would like it spicier.
- To assemble this bowl, grab a taco shell bowl and add in a handful of lettuce. Next, add a couple scoops of veggies and taco meat then, drizzle with chipotle sauce and serve.
If You Liked This Recipe Check Out:
- Steak Fajita Buddha Bowl with Fresh Salsa
- Rainbow Buddha Bowl Recipe with Tahini-Lemon Dressing
- Rotisserie Chicken Buddha Bowl with Sweet Pomegranate Sauce
- Rice Noodle Buddha Bowl with Vietnamese Dressing Recipe
- Crispy Tofu Buddha Bowl with Tangy Ponzu Sauce Recipe
- Roasted Vegetable Buddha Bowl
If you have tried making this Taco Buddha Bowl with Creamy Chipotle sauce, or any other recipe on my blog, then please rate it and let me know how it turned out in the comments below!