Super Bowl XLV might as well be renamed “Wing Bowl XLV” given that we consume 1 BILLION chicken wings on Super Bowl Sunday! It’s definitely on the menu at my house, though instead of the normal deep fried wings, we’ll probably marinate and throw them on the grill.
I’m all about the savory/sweet wings; Scott goes traditional with the Buffalo Wings (he’s from the Buffalo area, so there’s no messing around with tradition) and the boys like anything with lots of cheese, like the Baked Parmesan Garlic Wings.
More Super Bowl stats from Tree Hugger:
- 8 million: Total pounds of popcorn consumed on Super Bowl Sunday.
- 28 million: Pounds of potato chips consumed.
- 53.5 million: Pounds of avocados consumed.
- 222,792: Number of football fields worth of farmland to grow all that
corn, potatoes, and avocados.
- 11.8: Depth, in feet, of guacamole consumed if it were spread across the football field.
- 293,000: Number of miles of potato chips, laid end to end, consumed during the game.
- 1 billion: Number of chicken wings consumed on Super Bowl Sunday.
- 325.5 million: Gallons of beer drank by Americans that day.
- 493: Number of Olympic-sized swimming pools that could be filled with all that beer.
- 20%: Increase in ant-acid sales the Monday after the game.
- 7 million: Number of employees who will not show up to work Monday.
Chicken Wing Recipes for Super Bowl
Original Buffalo Chicken Wings (video by Food Wishes)
Spicy Breaded Chicken Wings (Simply Recipes)
Sriracha Chicken Wings (White on Rice Couple)
BBQ Central’s Smoky Sweet Wings
Virginia Willis’ Cola Glazed Jalapeno Wings
Messy Moroccan Chicken Wings (Apartment Therapy)
Piri Piri Wings (Nibble Me This)
Fire Roasted Sriracha Wings (Nibble Me This)
Do you have a favorite wing recipe? I’d love to hear about it!
I went to a Chinese restaurant and bought some salty toasted chicken wings. They were very crispy, and they had garlic , ,jalapenos, and green onion. I have not been able to make them. would you happen to have that recipe?
Mmm…yummy! They are probably deep fried. I’ll have to make a batch soon!
A bit late, but we have Malaysian Chicken Wings, Two Ways: Barbecued Chicken Wings and Fragrant Chicken Wings.
My two all time favorites are 1) Symon’s sriracha wings and most recently, 2) piri piri wings.
Yes, of course! I just added them to the list.
I love chicken wings. I use a Restaurant recipe cook book for a lot of my favorite recipes. Check it out. You will to. http://www.nowtvonpc.com/cookbook/
Thank-you for your great post, its really intresting and mouth watering. Its easy to prepare and very intresting to read. Definetly ill try this tonight.
Too many to choose from!! They all look so lovely.
One of my favourites is good ol’ fried chicken wings, bronzed to perfection. Five spice, Chinese wine, soy, honey, crumbs – heavenly. I’d imagine those sticky versions would be a winner for kids.
My favourite is using soya sauce and thai red curry paste as marinate. I haven’t eaten wings in years though.
You have compiled a very interesting collection of wings. With so much wings consumed there must be an abundance of the rest of the chicken.