This Ruth Chris Sweet Potato Casserole recipe is my take on the restaurant version. A layer of creamy sweet potatoes is covered with a delicious brown sugar and pecan streusel, it’s perfect for your holiday meals!
Why This Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe Is So Good
- A delicious copycat of the beloved Ruth Chris Sweet Potato Casserole.
- A wonderful mix of crunchy and creamy textures.
- A divine pecan streusel topping.
- A great thanksgiving side.
- Sweet potatoes
Crust Topping Mixture
- Brown sugar
- Chopped nuts
- Melted butter
Sweet Potato Mixture
How to make Ruth’s Chris Sweet Potato Casserole – Step By Step
Note: You can use CANNED sweet potato, to save this step.
Peel and cut each sweet potato in half. If it’s a really large/thick sweet potato, you might want to cut into thirds. The key is to keep the pieces relatively the same size.
Boil the sweet potatoes for 20 minutes, until easily pierced with a sharp paring knife (no resistance)
The sweet potatoes are mashed and mixed with just a bit of vanilla extract for extra flavor.
The Pecan Crumb Topping is so simple to make, we added extra pecans.
All that’s left is to to do is fill individual ramekins and top with spoonfuls of the crunchy pecan topping. Bake at 350F.
Ruth Chris Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
This sweet potato casserole recipe comes directly from Ruth’s Chris Restaurants – they’ve generously allowed us to reprint and adapt their recipe.
The homemade version is perfect to serve with a traditional steak dinner. We normally pair it with our Perfect Prime Rib Recipe with Red Wine Au Jus.
The two distinct textures of this Sweet Potato Casserole go so well together that we decided to go a little overboard on the topping so that each bite of mashed sweet potato could be accompanied by a generous scoop of the crunchy, sweet, nutty topping.
What To Serve With This Sweet Potato Casserole
This sweet potato casserole pairs perfectly with a variety of meats. You can serve this recipe with my Perfect Prime Rib with Red Wine Au Jus Recipe for an amazing holiday meal. I also serve sweet potato casserole alongside Flank Steak with Bloody Mary Salsa for an everyday weeknight dinner.
Can You Freeze This Casserole
To freeze a cooked sweet potato casserole, whether it’s whole or leftovers: let the casserole cool to room temperature, then store in a sealed container. For best results, frozen sweet potato casserole should be eaten within two months.
Top Tips For This Ruth Chris Sweet Potato Casserole
- The traditional recipe calls for chopped pecans in the streusel. If you’re not a fan of pecans, you can use walnuts or simply leave out the nuts altogether.
- This casserole can be assembled up to one day before you plan to bake it. Cover your baking dish with foil and store in the fridge until you’re ready to eat. You will need to add a little more bake time to compensate for starting with a cold casserole.
- This recipe calls for beating the sweet potatoes with a mixer, which makes for light and fluffy sweet potatoes with a few chunks mixed in. If you prefer a super smooth texture, try using a food processor instead.
More Recipes To Explore
- How to turn “cheap choice steak” into “Gucci Prime” steak
- Jim Lahey’s No Knead Baguette
- Roast Split Chicken with Lemony Artichoke Sauce
- Pork Chops with Apricot Brandy Sauce
Have you tried Ruth Chris’ Sweet Potato Casserole recipe? Feel free to leave a star rating and I’d love to hear from you in the comments below!
Ruth's Chris Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
- 1.5 pounds sweet potatoes peeled (about 4 medium-sized)
- Crust Topping Mixture:
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup chopped nuts pecans preferred
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- Sweet Potato Mixture:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg well beaten
- 1/4 cup butter
- Cut the sweet potatoes half and add them to a pot of salted water. Bring the pot to a boil, and cook for 20 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are cooked through. They should be easily pierced with a fork. Drain.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Mash the sweet potatoes with the Sweet Potato Mixture ingredients. Combine thoroughly and pour into a baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, combine Crust Topping Mixture, and sprinkle Crust Mixture evenly onto the surface of the sweet potatoes.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350°.