Boiled shrimp can be bland, flavorless and boring, especially if you buy frozen, pre-cooked “cocktail shrimp.” It’s just as easy to make your own boiled shrimp, but with so much more flavor.
Secret Ingredient = Shrimp Shells
The secret is using the shrimp shells to make a super-quick “stock” to boil the shrimp in.
Make a 10 minute simple shrimp stock by:
- Shelling the the shrimp
- Saute the shrimp shells in oil with garlic and spices
- Add in water and simmer for few minutes
Just this simple step will transform boring, bland, boiled shrimp into flavorful boiled shrimp.
Buddha Bowl Basics
This Flavorful Boiled Shrimp Recipe makes a great “lean protein” for Buddha Bowl Recipes.
You can make a batch of boiled shrimp and store in the refrigerator to enjoy all week with your Buddha Bowls!
More Buddha Bowl Recipes
Shrimp & Avocado Buddha Bowl with Creamy Avocado Cilantro Dressing
Roasted Tofu Buddha Bowl with Pineapple Teriyaki (substitute shrimp for the tofu)
Rice Noodle Buddha Bowl with Vietnamese Dressing
Flavorful Boiled Shrimp Recipe
- 1 lb raw shell-on shrimp
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp whole black peppercorns (optional)
- Peel the shrimp, saving the shells. Pat the shells very dry with paper towels.
- Heat a saucepan with the cooking oil over medium heat. When hot, add in the shells, garlic, pepper flakes, salt, Old Bay Seasoning, and peppercorns. Cook until the shrimp shells are pink, and the garlic is fragrant.
- Pour in 1 quart of water and add in the lemon half (give the lemon a quick squeeze to release some of the juices). Simmer for 5-8 minutes.
- Add in the raw shrimp and when the shrimp just begins to turn pink, it's almost ready. Turn off the heat and let the shrimp finish cooking in the water with the heat off, about 1 more minute. Remove the shrimp with a slotted spoon.
- OPTIONAL: You can save that shrimp stock! Discard the solids. Use that stock for shrimp or lobster bisque, or to cook your next batch of Flavorful Boiled Shrimp. I like to freeze the shrimp stock.