The best cutting board we’ve found (and giveaway)
Disclaimer: Products are provided to Steamy Kitchen for a thorough, honest review. We do not receive payment for reviews. Each review takes 5-10 hours of hands-on testing, writing and editing.
This is a Titan Butcher Blocks Review, including both PROs and CONs. We’ve been using the Titan Butcher Blocks cutting board, everyday, for the past 2 weeks. -Jaden
The two most important tools in my kitchen is my chef’s knife and my cutting board. I can pretty much cook with any type of cookware, but if I don’t have a good, sharp knife and a steady surface to cut on, I feel unsafe and cooking takes twice as long. That’s because 80% of the cooking process happens during prep, at the sink and cutting board: trimming, slicing, mincing, chopping.
I was cooking at a friend’s house recently, and he had a beautiful set of high-end knives in a knife block. I asked for a cutting board, and he pulled out a thin, plastic, flexible cutting mat. What should have taken me 20 minutes to cook ended up taking over an hour. The knife blade wobbled every time I tried to cut on the slippery, plastic surface. I actually had to tape down the cutting mat to the countertop so that it wouldn’t slide! The next day, I gifted him a new wooden cutting board.
Titan Butcher Blocks Cutting Board Review
Titan sent over a walnut, end-grain butcher block with a bottle of Vitality Oil.
The butcher block is a beast!!! 15″ x 20″ and 2.5″ thick.
Good thing it has handle grooves. It’s heavy!
It’s a good thing that the block is heavy. That means it’s going to stay put, and not slip or slide.
Difference between Titan cutting board and Titan butcher block
Cutting boards are generally thinner, most of them are made 3/4″ thick. They are primarily Edge Grain, strips of wood are glued together.
These cutting boards are great for everyday use. This one pictured is a Maple Edge Grain Cutting board.
An End-Grain Cutting Board is meant for butchery. Ends of wood are glued together to provide a unique cutting surface that is better on your knives. The fibers of the wood allow more give in the surface. End-Grain blocks do not show knife marks, is sturdier, and will last a lifetime. End-Grain blocks are more expensive than Edge-Grain.
PROs: Here’s what I love about the Titan cutting boards:
- Made in USA (North Canton, Ohio)
- Focus on responsible forestry practices
- Focus on sustainability – 100% of the wood byproducts are used (wood chips sold to paper mills, sawdust used as fuel, bark sold as mulch)
- Choose end or edge grain. Actually, you can customize the board to the exact dimensions that you want.
- Surprisingly affordable
- Titan walnut 2.5″ thick end grain butcher block $269 vs John Boos 3″ butcher block $349
- Titan maple edge grain 1.5″ cutting board $71.99 vs
- I love that Titan sells both 1.5″ and 2.5″ thick boards. Both have handle grooves
- Each cutting board comes with 8oz bottle of Titan Vitality Oil, which is essential for taking care of your wood cutting boards (see below).
- It’s a heavy beast. This is not a cutting board (2.5″ thick version) you want to be lugging in and out of a cabinet every time you want to cut an apple. Because we cook so much, I leave my cutting board on my counter at all times, so a large, heavy board works for us. Butcher blocks and cutting boards should be sturdy and steady. The Titan boards are so gorgeous that it looks beautiful on the counter anyways.
Titan Vitality Oil
I used the Vitality Oil on my old cutting board, which I’ve been using every single day for the past 8 years.
The oil is food-grade mineral with vitamin E. Gave my old board a new finish. It prevents the wood from drying out and protects the wood. Like new again:
Recommendation: I highly recommend the Titan Cutting Boards and Butcher Blocks. It’s a perfect holiday gift for the cook in your family. This is something that, with care, will absolutely last a lifetime. Go visit their website and buy a board!
Titan Butcher Block Giveaway
Giveaway Ends: 2018-01-11
Number of Prizes Available: 1
Max Entries Per Day: 1
Never miss another Steamy Kitchen Giveaway!Subscribe to our Giveaway Notifications to keep up to date on all of our giveaways! We will even throw in a special gift when you confirm your subscription!
List of Past Winners.
DISCLAIMER & OFFICIAL RULES: The giveaway product is provided by the sponsor of the giveaway and will be shipped from them directly. No purchase necessary to enter or win. Sweepstakes is open only to who are 18 years of age at time of entry. Steamy Kitchen and its sponsors only ship physical prizes to United States and to Canadian addresses. However, Steamy Kitchen reserves the right to provide an Amazon gift card for the value of the prize in lieu of shipping physical product due to shipping costs and logistics. Steamy Kitchen assumes no responsibility for late or misdirected entries due to SPAM, technological, or e-mail filtering issues or for prizes lost in transit. For this giveaway, entrants can enter the designated number of times per e-mail address per day. The use of any system, robot, agent, or software to automatically submit entries in connection with this Giveaway is prohibited. See rest of the Official Giveaway Rules.